BI Motion detection - Outdoor sunny/cloudy days?

probe3

n3wb
Reaction score
Picked up BI last week to monitor a few wifi and wired cameras at my vacation home. I have a few wifi cameras inside looking out the windows onto the property and I'm having issues dialing in motion detection. Getting a lot of triggering when the sun peeks out of the clouds then hides back behind them. The brightness and contrast is pretty extreme when the sun dips in and out.

Anyone have any techniques on how to control that? I want to be able to see animals walking thru the property along with larger vehicles if they decide to check out my property.

Thx in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to increase your make time. If the alerts bother you what you can do, is set up two sets of cameras, clones of each other...set one to record with sensitive motion settings (there is no harm in having too much footage) and a second set of cams with longer make times and higher thresholds that are set to alert only. You can make the alert cams hidden so hey dont appear on the screen.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Enabling Object detect/reject under the Motion tab can help somewhat, but it may weed out some motion that you actually do want to capture.

probe3

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try out the clone cam method when I'm at the property again. Enabling Object Detect/Reject turns off most motion triggering on my end.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
BI can also detect motion based on brightness, color, or both. A while ago I set up schedules so that at night my cams would detect based on brightness changes and during the day they would detect color changes only. It didn't actually eliminate most of the false alarms though so I might switch it back to using "both" all the time.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
use a real PIR/Microwave Motion sensor and it will be immune to such false alarms... how it would trigger in BI, dunno.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, besides 4k resolution, PIR is the number one thing I want to see on an outdoor camera. But I can only find it on indoor cams it seems.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
outdoor cams you probably need to find a cam with an alarm IO or two; I wish the'd provide a 12v power output then you wouldn't need a separate power run.