[BI] New Camera for my Carport

allgrind

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,

I'm looking for a new camera for my carpot. I would like to use the new Continuous + Alerts feature from BI.
For this I need a camera that provides sub and mainstream. I originally bought the Reolink 811a and the Annke C800 for this - but both are going back to Amazon. I don't listen to Youtuber anymore :(.

Requirements:
  1. Sub and mainstream
  2. BI compatible
  3. Good day and night vision
  4. Wide FOV High resolution (1080p to 2560p) - I don't need 4k - A good and clear picture is much more important to me.
  5. IR - LED / It is getting very dark in the carport
  6. H264 vs. 265 - gentle on the CPU?

The camera can cost up to 200-250 euros. Have I forgotten something important?

Many greetings John

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The Dahua 5442 series cameras (including the camera you linked to which is a 5442 series camera being sold under a different name badge) are certainly not the cheapest cameras out there. But they offer the best combination of performance vs price. Spending $100 on a camera that doesn't work at night is not a good deal. If a camera isn't capable of providing high quality footage in low light situations (when it is most likely an "event" is going to occur), then it isn't worth buying. You would do well to consider something like the 5442 series.

That being said, the variable focal length cameras are more expensive than their fixed focal length brethren. Variable focal length cameras allow you to change the "zoom" of the camera and it allows you to really dial in the coverage area of the camera. A fixed focal length camera doesn't have any "zoom" and you simply see what the camera was set for initially.

While having at least one variable focal length camera can be helpful to find out what might work for your use case (by moving in around to each location you want a camera and then playing with the "zomm" to find out what focal length works best), you can also use online software to help with this.

Check out the IPVM Calculator which allows you to overlay exact camera models over a satellite view of your exact address. I have found it very accurate. It allows you to compare the field of view of a 2.8mm camera to a 6mm focal length camera, et, etc, etc. I'd recommend overlaying the different models of 5442 cameras until you find one that works best. The variable focal length models will allow you to change the "zoom" on the software while the fixed focal length cameras will not. You may find that a 2.8mm or 3.4mm version of the 5442 series will work just fine for your situation and will allow you to save some money over the variable focal length model. There is no point in getting a variable focal length model if you are just going to set it to 2.8, or 3.6 or 6mm because those are all available as fixed focal length models which cost less.

Be sure to pay attention to the PPF number (pixels per face) on the right side of the screen. This number changes as you change the distance from the camera. The higher the number, the higher the resolution of the image and the better you will be able to identify someone. You really need something like 75 or greater if you want to be able to identify a stranger is good lighting conditions. But you really want that number as high as possible.

allgrind

n3wb
Reaction score
Perfect! Thank you for the informations. Then I will order the camera from you. I'm not in a hurry either :) Do I have to consider something in this regard?

I won't need a zoom either. The carpot is not that big. At the moment I tend between the two cameras: IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED vs. IPC-T5442TM-AS. Apparently the IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED has an IR-LED. It's already quite dark in the carpot - so no residual light. So the IPC-T5442TM-AS_LED should be better, right? Or am I wrong? I like the appearance of the IPC-T5442TM-AS better - it looks much more modern.

Thanks again for the help!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Perfect! Thank you for the informations. Then I will order the camera from you. I'm not in a hurry either :) Do I have to consider something in this regard?

I won't need a zoom either. The carpot is not that big. At the moment I tend between the two cameras: IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED vs. IPC-T5442TM-AS. Apparently the IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED has an IR-LED. It's already quite dark in the carpot - so no residual light. So the IPC-T5442TM-AS_LED should be better, right? Or am I wrong? I like the appearance of the IPC-T5442TM-AS better - it looks much more modern.

Thanks again for the help!

FYI - posting the images so folks know which models we are discussing .. keep imho is the 4MP 1/1.8" sensor ..

1628274391174.png

1628274444864.png