BI not catching motion

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys i have had several incidents recently where there has been motion and no recordings. I thought it was motion settings but I think my system is overwhelmed. I have another issue where recordings are very blocky when recording or with big motion. I am using 18 cameras right now. 1 is a sunba PTZ, 7 are reolink, 2 amcrest and 8hikvisions. The machine specs are:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold G5400 CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)

Not sure what I can do I followed a bunch of the posts here about optimization but I don't know if I am overtaxing this information.

Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Neil

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you sure the motion triggers are in fact happening? As you probably know, reolink cameras have issues.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you sure the motion triggers are in fact happening? As you probably know, reolink cameras have issues.
Yes I know the codec for reolinks isn't well regarded (after buying 8 of them :) ). I adjusted my motion settings but I had a human being walk by two of these cameras and they were within motion tolerances (which weren't very aggressive) and still no recording. It really has become a problem for me when you don't record and things are happening! This is why I came here because as you all can imagine it's disconcerting.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
More information is needed.

What version of Blue Iris?
What is the CPU utilization?
Are you using sub streams? For that matter are your cameras capable of running the main and sub stream simultaneously?
Are you using object detection or detection zones?
Screen captures of camera motion detection settings.
Screen capture of the BI console cameras page showing frame, key frame and bit rates for main and sub streams.

Reolink, because they use non-standard encoding and play so many games with frame and iframe(key frame) rates can be a PITA to get to work right and even then they don't always work right.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The short-answer is the Blue Iris developer has indicated that for best reliability, sub stream frame rate should be equal to the main stream frame rate and these cameras cannot do that and there is nothing you can do about that with these cameras... The iframe rates (something these cameras do not allow you to set) should equal the FPS, but at worse case be no more than double. This example shows the cameras going down to a keyrate of 0.25 means that the iframe rates are over 4 times the FPS and that is why motion detection is a disaster with these cameras and Blue Iris...A value of 0.5 or less is considered insufficient to trust for motion triggers reliably...we have seen people come here where the reo/BI combo missed them pulling their car into their garage, so it would probably miss your motion as well.

A key of 0.25 means that if the object can be in and off of your camera view in under 4 seconds, it will miss the motion. Folks have seen the key drop to 0.10 with these cams, which means if an object is not on your screen for longer than 10 seconds, it will miss the motion.

But even in the daytime the BI/Reolink combo can suck. There is a video here of someone in the middle of the day pulling his car into the garage and the Reolink/BI combo missed the whole thing.

See this thread for a post I made that it will open up to that goes in more detail

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What version of Blue Iris?
5.5.9.3 x64

What is the CPU utilization?
only thing running on this is blue iris. I don't know how to answer that question with data?

Are you using sub streams? For that matter are your cameras capable of running the main and sub stream simultaneously?
yes using substreams

Are you using object detection or detection zones?
motion triggers based on size and opacity and duration

Screen captures of camera motion detection settings.

Screen capture of the BI console cameras page showing frame, key frame and bit rates for main and sub streams.
I don't know how to do this?

Reolink, because they use non-standard encoding and play so many games with frame and iframe(key frame) rates can be a PITA to get to work right and even then they don't always work right.
This just might be the end result - the cameras get thrown away :(

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's an example of what can happen if the Reolink keyframes are too infrequent:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go to the BI console and top left is a chart symbol with an upward arrow. Hover over it and it says status. Select that and then the cameras tab.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it here:
Looks like I have a down camera and didn't even know it :(

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It says imgur is down, so maybe a permissions policy?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, those cameras are suffering the Reolink blues...

Some FPS dropped to 4 and the KEY to 0.12. All but two cameras are below a KEY of 0.5

A value of 0.5 or less is considered insufficient to trust for motion triggers reliably...

A key of 0.25 means that if the object can be in and off of your camera view in under 4 seconds, it will miss the motion. Folks have seen the key drop to 0.10 with these cams, which means if an object is not on your screen for longer than 10 seconds, it will miss the motion.

So the cameras with a KEY of 0.12 means that if an object can be in and out of your camera view in under 8 seconds, the motion will be missed.

That camera view you showed is probably very possible for someone to be in and out in under 8 seconds.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, those cameras are suffering the Reolink blues...

Some FPS dropped to 4 and the KEY to 0.12. All but two cameras are below a KEY of 0.5

A value of 0.5 or less is considered insufficient to trust for motion triggers reliably...

So the cameras with a KEY of 0.12 means that if an object can be in and out of your camera view in under 8 seconds, the motion will be missed.

That camera view you showed is probably very possible for someone to be in and out in under 8 seconds.
yes 8 seconds is an eternity walking down the stairs! Well so my solution is to dump the reos? What is a suitable affordable option?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty much unfortunately. Or relegate the reos to non-critical overview cameras inside or outside.

Amcrest and Lorex would be some budget cams to consider, especially for indoors.

Outdoor I would suggest to spend the little extra money to get the Dahua or Hikvisions that would be on the proper MP/sensor ratio.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The first thing I noticed is that although you may have edited the motion detection you failed to check the box net to it to enable it. Try that first, it may hep a little. No guarantee with that though.

You can go into the web GUI for each camera and raise the frame and bit rates. Relink plays lots of games with those, as I said earlier, but if you raise them it can help. Give it a try.

If you look at the bottom of the main console screen you'll see a CPU utilization percentage and also see how much memory is being used.

I have to strongly suggest that you read the BI help file. That's accessed by clicking on the question mark next to the icon that you clicked for the camera stats.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the screen before I select the configuration of motion i have the box checked?

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pretty much unfortunately. Or relegate the reos to non-critical overview cameras inside or outside.

Amcrest and Lorex would be some budget cams to consider, especially for indoors.

Outdoor I would suggest to spend the little extra money to get the Dahua or Hikvisions that would be on the proper MP/sensor ratio.
all my outside cameras are hikvisions now, except the one PTZ sunba. I like the hikvisions until the cut filters go bad and its purple all the time.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to check the box in the advanced section next to "use zones and hot spot". This assumes you've edited the motion zones of course. Please read the help file!