BI on a Mini PC

drlovety

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading or rather downgrading from a tower to a mini PC. Any suggestions? Considerations? I'm trying to free up space, heat, and cut down on fan noise.

I currently have BI ver 3 running 3 foscams and two 3mp IP Hiki cams. When a cam is recording the CPU goes from 17% to around 85%. I'm looking at adding at least two more 3 mp cams.

I would like to have a mini PC with BI ver 4 with 3mp (x4) and foscams (x3).

I'm currently looking at this PC as it has a $50 MIR
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VM42-S075V-ASUS-Desktop/dp/B00UFF757Q?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=e479d794d80c11e5ba16b2f3be176dff0INT

Will this PC work? Should I consider XProtect?

Thanks,
Ty

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading or rather downgrading from a tower to a mini PC. Any suggestions? Considerations? I'm trying to free up space, heat, and cut down on fan noise.

I currently have BI ver 3 running 3 foscams and two 3mp IP Hiki cams. When a cam is recording the CPU goes from 17% to around 85%. I'm looking at adding at least two more 3 mp cams.

I would like to have a mini PC with BI ver 4 with 3mp (x4) and foscams (x3).

I'm currently looking at this PC as it has a $50 MIR
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VM42-S075V-ASUS-Desktop/dp/B00UFF757Q?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=e479d794d80c11e5ba16b2f3be176dff0INT

Will this PC work? Should I consider XProtect?

Thanks,
Ty
That processor is very weak. Search the forums for elitedesk or optiplex. Buy an i5-4590 system which can be had for about 300 dollars with a three year next business day warranty. You cannot hear these systems when they are running unless you are right next to them. Look at the SFF or USDT/mini systems.
xprotect is 50 dollars PER camera and you need to bump up to the 100 per camera if you want nas storage, 150 per camera if you want two way audio.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

andrewket

n3wb
Reaction score
BI download page mentions using an nvidia video card for hardware decode. The dell systems with the 4590's seem to have integrated Intel video. Is the reference to nvidia out of date?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI download page mentions using an nvidia video card for hardware decode. The dell systems with the 4590's seem to have integrated Intel video. Is the reference to nvidia out of date?
Yes and no. Technically they can be used simultaneously at least some have had success in doing so, search the thread on hardware acceleration. You need to use intel HD with quicksync to get hardware acceleration, it appears that the nvidia card helps a bit with displaying the images on the monitor. I would recommend simply using intel HD, its much more efficient than a discrete card and you wont run into issue trying to run both at once and at this point nvidia has not been integrated with blue iris.