BI on B:/ and DS on C:/. Is this a problem

Edward135

n3wb
Reaction score
DS won't start. I get the error, "Could not start (2); check path (C:\DeepStack)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

How the heck did BI get put on B:\ drive? There was a time when A:\ and B:\ was a floppy disk drive designation!

FWIW, it's best to have Windows, BI and BI's "db" folder on C:\ (ideally a SSD), and video clips to a spinning HDD (ideally surveillance-rated), usually D:\ thru Z:\ (or E:\ thru Z:\ if D:\ is an optical drive).

I don't know for sure but DS would likely perform best if on the same drive as BI, that would automatically provide the path for the executables.

Edward135

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

How the heck did BI get put on B:\ drive? There was a time when A:\ and B:\ was a floppy disk drive designation!

FWIW, it's best to have Windows, BI and BI's "db" folder on C:\ (ideally a SSD), and video clips to a spinning HDD (ideally surveillance-rated), usually D:\ thru Z:\ (or E:\ thru Z:\ if D:\ is an optical drive).

I don't know for sure but DS would likely perform best if on the same drive as BI, that would automatically provide the path for the executables.
Hello IPCT!,

Thank you for the information. I re-installed BI and DS on C drive but I still get the following error, "Could not start (258; check path (C:\Deepstack)". I can't find this erro anywhere on Google. Any suggestions on how to get DS running?

Edward135

n3wb
Reaction score
IPCT!,

I was able to manually start DS by going to the right clicking and running as adminstrator, the file deepstack.exe. DS started as shown in BI. However, when I closed BI and opened it again it did not start with BI like it was suppose to.

Edward135

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello TonyR,

When I type path in CMD I see the path, "C:\DeepStack\server"

Edward135

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello TonyR,

If I right click deepstack.exe and run as an administrator, then deepStack runs (as shown by the AI tab in Blue iris) and the command prompt (black dialogue box) appears with the following:

v1/backup
-------------------------
v1/restore

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello TonyR,

When I type path in CMD I see the path, "C:\DeepStack\server"
I don't use/run DeepStack so maybe someone that does can chime in with regards to what the path should be. I would think it'd be "C:\DeepStack".

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using the desktop version of DS? Don’t use DS anymore but when I tried it I had a lot of problems getting the desktop version to auto start when the computer starts. Ended up going with the Docker version which would auto start.

Edward135

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you IAMATeaf and TonyR for the advice.

I don't know anything about using a docker. I will have to look this up. Any ideas regarding tutorials?

What AI is everyone else using? I know of three: Codeproject.AI, DeepStack, and Computer Vision by Gentle Pumpkin. Is one better than the other?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, mine is at C:\DeepStack

What cameras do you have? It may have AI built in that is sufficient?

The camera AI is useful to many people, but BI has way more motion setting granularity than the cameras, and some people need that additional detail, especially if wanting AI for more than a car or person. For folks that want AI and alerts on animals or specifically a UPS truck then they need the additional AI.

There isn't really a best practice because every field of view is different and use case and needs are different.

To many here, BI motion without AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, camera AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, using the BI AI adds additional functionality that the above alone can not do.

It comes down to testing with each field of view and which one gives you the most consistent results.

While some of that third party stuff is cool like tagging was it a dog or a bear, I don't need all that fancy stuff. If my camera triggers BI to tag an alert for human or vehicle and BI can accomplish what I need by way of a text or email or push or whatever, that is sufficient for my needs. I just want to be alerted if a person or vehicle is on my property and the camera AI does a fine job with that.

However, I do run BI AI on one camera so that it knocks out headlight shine so that the alert image includes the vehicle. The camera AI will trigger for a car, but the alert image was always just the headlights.

The true test....I have found the AI of the cameras to work even in a freakin blizzard....imagine how much the CPU would be maxing out sending all the snow pictures for analysis to CodeProject LOL. My non-AI cams in BI were triggering all night. This picture was ran through Deepstack (without the IVS or red lines on it) and it failed to recognize a person in the picture, but the camera AI did. This pic says it all and the video had the red box over it even in complete white out on the screen:

1679354257954.png

See this thread on how using just Dahua AI may be sufficient for your needs:

Who uses Dahua AI capable cameras? Reliable AI for triggering events? Pro's/con's?

Edward135

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using the desktop version of DS? Don’t use DS anymore but when I tried it I had a lot of problems getting the desktop version to auto start when the computer starts. Ended up going with the Docker version which would auto start.
Which AI do you use. I am thinking about using Codeproject. AI because I have had so many difficulties with BI and can't even find the answers to questions online.

Edward135

n3wb
Reaction score
I meant to write, "I have had so many difficulties with DeepStack(not BI) and can't even find answers to questions online."

Edward135

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on CodeProject.Ai or on Computer Vision by GentlePumpkin?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are just now starting and want to use AI within BI, you really need to go to CodeProject (if the camera AI isn't sufficient for your needs).

The GentlePumpkin was a 3rd party add-on using DeepStack prior to AI being integrated with BI. As such is provides a ton of granular micro level customization.

At some point Deepstack became "integrated" within BI and many people migrated away from the 3rd party add-ons (though some stuck with them because they spent time setting it up and it worked for them or the liked the more micro level settings they could do).

Then about a year ago, BI switched from Deepstack to CodeProject. Every BI update that comes out is one step closer to Deepstack not working as BI is being customized to work with Code Project.

So you either use camera AI or CodeProject if you want AI.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Which AI do you use. I am thinking about using Codeproject. AI because I have had so many difficulties with BI and can't even find the answers to questions online.
I don’t using any AI, I just use the AI capabilities of my cams. When I tried using DS I found that it was fairly accurate during the day but was hopeless for my field of view at night whereas the cam AI is spot on.

Edward135

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are just now starting and want to use AI within BI, you really need to go to CodeProject (if the camera AI isn't sufficient for your needs).

The GentlePumpkin was a 3rd party add-on using DeepStack prior to AI being integrated with BI. As such is provides a ton of granular micro level customization.

At some point Deepstack became "integrated" within BI and many people migrated away from the 3rd party add-ons (though some stuck with them because they spent time setting it up and it worked for them or the liked the more micro level settings they could do).

Then about a year ago, BI switched from Deepstack to CodeProject. Every BI update that comes out is one step closer to Deepstack not working as BI is being customized to work with Code Project.

So you either use camera AI or CodeProject if you want AI.
Thank you Wittaj for the information. So I downloaded CodeProject.AI and now I can't get it to install. It looks like the download is a program that contacts the internet to then actually download Codeproject.AI to my hard drive. In otherwords the installer that a person downloads is not the full program but a program that downloads the actually program. Am I correct? I preferr an off line installation of Codeproject.AI. Is there one?

Edward135

n3wb
Reaction score
Open a command prompt, type in "path" and hit <enter>.

Is "C:\Deepstack" listed ?
Hello Tony R,

I uninstalled DS and installed Codeproject.AI and now I am getting the same error as before but with Codeproject.AI. "Could not start (258; check path (C:\ProgramFiles\Codeproject\AI\Server)" So I opened command prompt and typed "path" and I do not see any CodeProject listed in the paths. How do I fix this?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not use either DS or CP but I think you STILL have problems with installs on Windows that first showed up in your post #1 when BI was installed on B:\ drive. Whatever the issue it seems if you are using the proper install package for a program Windows is not getting the paths properly set up.
  1. On what drive is Windows installed?
  2. What other drives are in the system?
  3. Open a command prompt, type in "path" and hit <enter>., then post a screen shot, like below.

win7-path-rita.jpg