BI on mini-itx mobo?

noxcuses

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm thinking of building a mini-itx based PC for BI only. This PC will reside in a closet so a small form factor and low heat generation is the goal of the build. From what I've read on this forum, BI works best with intel graphics, so it would seem a mini-itx board without any dedicated graphic card would work well. A mini-itx board with an i5-6th gen processor, 8gig ram, and a video storage drive seems to fit what I'm looking for a 8-10 camera system.

Also, I've seen lots of good information on optimum BI configuration settings. Is there any posts that I've missed that are focused on Windows 10 settings? Back a few years ago I used Windows XP-Embedded that you could create builds of Windows XP that had only what you wanted /needed for your application. Does such a thing exist for Win10? It would be nice to free up as much Win10 wasted cpu cycles for BI.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My BI machine is on a Mini ITX Board but it's an I7. If the funds are in your build go the I7. An SSD improves performance dramatically as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Waste of money most modern machines are low heat... Look for a small form-factor Dell or HP ideally you want local storage on the machine there are tons of threads that discuss this

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A mini-itx board with an i5-6th gen processor, 8gig ram, and a video storage drive seems to fit what I'm looking for a 8-10 camera system.
I’m running a 3rd-gen i7 on a mini-itx w/ 8GB of RAM. No SSD yet, two WD Purple (4TB each). 7 cameras recording (15 MP, 110 FPS) and the CPU load is 10-15%. This is on Windows 10 Professional. If you’re going with a 5th or 6th gen processor, I don’t think you’ll need to tune Windows 10 to squeak out any extra efficiency. I haven’t seen any guides like that around here, other than the advice to install the OS from scratch using media created from Microsoft’s media tool (vs. using an OEM restore image).

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Would a i5-4590 be enough for 8 cameras?
On a Dell 3020 with that same processor I run a mix of 8 or 9 from 1MB - 4MB, most all at 15fps a couple at 20, relatively high bit rates, h.264, direct-to-disc, hardware acceleration, etc., and on through a fairly standard config. Works fine. CPU usually stays ~25% for BI and ~30% overall. Might kick up to ~40-50ish now and then when doing something else on it. Nothing much else running other than a few trivial servers and backup process.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
On a Dell 3020 with that same processor I run a mix of 8 or 9 from 1MB - 4MB, most all at 15fps a couple at 20, relatively high bit rates, h.264, direct-to-disc, hardware acceleration, etc., and on through a fairly standard config. Works fine. CPU usually stays ~25% for BI and ~30% overall. Might kick up to ~40-50ish now and then when doing something else on it. Nothing much else running other than a few trivial servers and backup process.
the load will depend on total megapixels, fps and bitrate....the number of actual cameras is irrelevant for the most part.

jrdnlc

n3wb
Reaction score
the load will depend on total megapixels, fps and bitrate....the number of actual cameras is irrelevant for the most part.
The camera is 3mp and I'll be running it 10-15fps max. No need go higher than that. I believe the i5-4590 will be just fine.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, which is why I gave some more details for comparison.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, which is why I gave some more details for comparison.
My point is that you don't provide useful information...no idea if you have 7 1mp and 4mp or vice versa.. huge difference

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
My point is that you don't provide useful information...no idea if you have 7 1mp and 4mp or vice versa.. huge difference
If it were that heavily weighted one way or another then I would have said so. It would be something like 2 1MB, 3 2MB, 2 3MB, and 2 4MB. Which is a mess to try to describe in a post intending to just give someone a rough general idea of another system running on the same processor.