BI PC question

Foxone

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, noob here. Im running a couple Amcrest Ipm-723S cameras using the Amcrest Surveillance Pro software. It really blows. My question is, does BI need my PC to be powered on to catch motion and whatnot? I have 32GB SD cards in each camera for recording.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, noob here. Im running a couple Amcrest Ipm-723S cameras using the Amcrest Surveillance Pro software. It really blows. My question is, does BI need my PC to be powered on to catch motion and whatnot? I have 32GB SD cards in each camera for recording.
yes its software...it wont work unless the pc is on..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That sux. The amcrest works either way.
no it does not...all it may do is act as a viewer for the sd card in the camera-by definition it cannot function if the pc is off, right?...blue iris is video management software..its a completely different package...it is designed to replace an NVR.

Foxone

n3wb
Reaction score
It does, well, the pc is in sleep mode. So I guess partially.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It does, well, the pc is in sleep mode. So I guess partially.
see above...not it does not...when the pc is sleeping it is NOT functioning...you may be confusing pc sleep with the monitor going to sleep...

Foxone

n3wb
Reaction score
PC is off, no fans, no lights. Indicator light blinking. Touch the keyboard, PC turns on, keyboard lights up.Still records motion. Maybe standby?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
PC is off, no fans, no lights. Indicator light blinking. Touch the keyboard, PC turns on, keyboard lights up.Still records motion. Maybe standby?
When the pc is sleeping/hibernating/off no software is running, not even windows.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
IF you want to run blue iris you should dedicate a pc for this purpose..cost is 150-300 for most applications..

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does the Amcrest camera wake up the PC to do the alerting? Then, in that case, yes. But still No!
Sounds like you do not want to keep your PC on all the time. A NVR is prob what you want then. But still, that is on 24/7.

Most people don't even realize that a cable company DVR box is actually a computer that's on 24/7! Even greeners. lol
My Electric company sends me a quarterly usage 'report' that always states that I use 'more energy' than those around me, and gives me helpful hints like turning off devices. WOW. I never thought of that. Thanks power company.... 'The More You Know' (Rainbow effect).... lol