BI + PfSense/OpenSense on the same box?

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning to use a Dell Optiplex 3020 with Windows 10 to run BI.
Instead of getting a router (USG or the like) I was wondering if anyone is using a similar setup to run Pfsense or OpnSense? I can add a dual intel NIC in addition to the oboard NIC.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
R. Rod

Reaction score
As far as I know pfSense has to run it’s own hardened Linux OS, so the only way to combine them would be virtualization which I’d avoid if I were you. Also pfSense doesn’t require much of a CPU (I run mine on an I3-6100 and its drastic overkill if you aren’t planning to run Deep Packet Inspection or lots of packages.

I would recommend an ASUS consumer router, it’s simple to setup and supports OpenVPN. If you want to “step up” maybe go with a Ubiquity Edgerouter, or at the very extremes end you could grab an SG-1100 or do a fresh install on a separate Dell (but it will be soooo overkill).

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As far as I know pfSense has to run it’s own hardened Linux OS, so the only way to combine them would be virtualization which I’d avoid if I were you. Also pfSense doesn’t require much of a CPU (I run mine on an I3-6100 and its drastic overkill if you aren’t planning to run Deep Packet Inspection or lots of packages.
I was thinking:
  • Windows 10 as the host OS
  • BI on Windows
  • Hyper-v with a VM for OpnSense
  • I'm already creating a VM to host HomeAssistant on that same computer

I would recommend an ASUS consumer router, it’s simple to setup and supports OpenVPN. If you want to “step up” maybe go with a Ubiquity Edgerouter, or at the very extremes end you could grab an SG-1100 or do a fresh install on a separate Dell (but it will be soooo overkill).
  • I do have an Edgerouter Lite ready for this setup. I was mostly trying to use this as an opportunity to tinker with OpnSense.
Thanks for your message!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I value stability over all else for a router. And therefore I would never make my entire home's internet access depend on the Blue Iris computer being online and running properly.

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I value stability over all else for a router. And therefore I would never make my entire home's internet access depend on the Blue Iris computer being online and running properly.
Understood, it is a good point.
This was me trying to use a single pc for all my computing needs on this short-term rental property.
There are pros and cons - having VM images ready and a equivalent host should, in theory, make the switch painless - but I do get your point about the router being a key element of the setup.
I have a unifi setup at home, and most likely end up repeating the formula on this property.