BI Power cycle camera on loss of signal?

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of my IP cams frequently drops out (i.e. stops sending a signal), and needs to be power cycled to restore it. The BI (v4) option to power cycle it on loss of signal does not do anything when the cam signal drops, so I have plugged the cam into an Energenie Mihome smart plug, and want BI to power cycle the Energenie socket.
I have Home Assistant and a Broadlink IR blaster installed, I just need a way of getting BI to send an HTTP request to Home Assistant when the camera signal drops. Does anyone know how I might do this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my IP cams frequently drops out (i.e. stops sending a signal), and needs to be power cycled to restore it. The BI (v4) option to power cycle it on loss of signal does not do anything when the cam signal drops, so I have plugged the cam into an Energenie Mihome smart plug, and want BI to power cycle the Energenie socket.
I have Home Assistant and a Broadlink IR blaster installed, I just need a way of getting BI to send an HTTP request to Home Assistant when the camera signal drops. Does anyone know how I might do this?
blue iris cant power cycle a camera that is not longer connecting...
you can use watchdog alerts to trigger a script

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey itm...

What about using a "managed switch" to provide power to the IP camera? Those switches can allow for you to turn off power on a port-by-port basis, which would give you the power cycle capability you are looking for. Or is the camera not POE?

Cheers

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok, understood....can only speak from experience here, but I have chosen to go pretty much 100% on POE for a lot of reasons, but the remote power cycle feature from a managed switch has turned into a life saver! I have a BI setup in my house in Arizona and we are only there for a few months during the year. The rest of the time, I rely on my cameras to help keep me apprised of the goings-on. Invariably, I will get random instances where cameras go offline and no amount of remote snooping/pinging IP's will do! So I just log into the the managed switch and power down that particular port...wait for about half a minute and power the port back up again. This has never failed me in the 2 years since I've installed the system.

Depending on your budget, POE cameras can be had for very cheap these days....anyway, hope this helps!

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the cams going offline - that's why I have all of mine on smart sockets (some of the cams are wireless, so PoE isn't an option for them). I use the Energenie Mihome gateway to power cycle any cameras that I notice have stalled, but would rather have BI do it automatically - hence the reason for my original post. Oh, and my switch doesn't support PoE either :0(
I'll keep an eye out for PoE cams (and switches) for the future though - it sounds like a good option as and when I look to upgrade.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you get a windows version of CURL you should be able to have Blue Iris run it instead of trying to send the web request itself.

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you get a windows version of CURL you should be able to have Blue Iris run it instead of trying to send the web request itself.
That sounds like a good idea - thanks. Since I want to execute two CURL commands, with a delay of a few seconds between them, I guess I'll need to create a .bat file and run that from BI.