BI Remote Viewing Server Time Out

stjdicke

n3wb
Reaction score
I had recently installed a security system and haven't made any changes. The remote viewing was working fine and all of sudden stopped. When I run through the wizard it says Server Time Out where it should say BI. Can someone please help me with this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had recently installed a security system and haven't made any changes. The remote viewing was working fine and all of sudden stopped. When I run through the wizard it says Server Time Out where it should say BI. Can someone please help me with this.
Are you using a dynamic dns service? Your ip external ip address or the local address of your blue iris machine may have changed.

stjdicke

n3wb
Reaction score
DNS service is taken automatically from ISP. My external IP hasn't changed from my ISP. I don't think my local address of the BI machine has changed. I'm still not able to view still saying connection times out and when I checked canyouseeme.org port 81 is timing out. Please let me know how to solve this as it is urgent I get this fixed today.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
DNS service is taken automatically from ISP. My external IP hasn't changed from my ISP. I don't think my local address of the BI machine has changed. I'm still not able to view still saying connection times out and when I checked canyouseeme.org port 81 is timing out. Please let me know how to solve this as it is urgent I get this fixed today.
Well one of those things have changed. You need to actually check, you cant assume anything. This is not a BI issue, its a networking issue.
Try using a higher port like 8585.
Did you set a static or reserved ip address for your BI machine? Check the firewall as well.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If canyouseeme isn't able to see your open port then one of two things is wrong, 1. You have the wrong external IP or, 2. Your firewall is blocking the port. Check both and ensure you can see the port open with canyouseeme. Like @fenderman says, this is a network issue not related to BI setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

stjdicke

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not very computer savy and am having the worst time figuring this out. Can someone please remote in using TeamViewer to help me figure this out?

Reaction score
I'm sure fenderman will help you when he gets back online. In the meantime, what Operating system are you using? Windows 7, 8 or 10?

What's make and model of your router? Do you have the passwords to access it?

Do you know how to access the command prompt? Go to start, run than type in "CMD" and click okay. when you get to the black screen type in "ipconfig" and hit enter. That will tell you your IP address of your computer.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Actually, if you're running Blue Iris, you simply need to click on Options and then Web Server. It'll tell you both your LAN and your WAN address there...

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pm me if you would like the help

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So here is an update. Problem is still not resolved as I am not sure where else to look in an attempt to resolve this.

Background:
He is running Windows Server 2012 or earlier (didn't check)
Blue Iris is up-to-date on 4.3.0.9
I checked his bi server settings and they all seemed correct. He is displaying remote BI on port 81.
Set a static IP in the router for the BI server.
Opened the port in firewall for 81 both TCP/UDP.

The odd thing was that I couldn't get the BI activeX or MJPEG streaming to work on either of the server IP address through Internet Explorer 192.168.20.119:81 or 127.0.0.1:81). Both are not displaying the live streams. I went into the BI www folder and started the login page from the directory and was prompted for a login but it never moved to the remote view page. After trying to login to remote view page and it didn't work I started the pull.htm pages and they showed content in the left bar but no live stream.

Since I am not familiar with how Server 2012 works I am not sure what else to do to get this to work. I was going to test the remote access. Is that the router is setup but doesn't make sense to try if I can't see it working internally on the WAN.

Any ideas at all here @fenderman ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@ruppmeister If you can login to the webserver but cannot see live video, First thing to check is camera properties >webcast ...it must be enabled

dathoang

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an exact problem with BI in windows 10. I am familiar with networking. I was a certified Microsoft Network Engineer 15 years ago, but not working in network field anymore. I cannot remote view with BI. My swann NVR is remote viewed fine. I followed the instruction in web server of BI to make suire LAN and WAN IPs are correct, created new rule to allow BI goes through router's firewall. BI app in my phone got IP address correctly and still cannot connect.
Edit: If I use wifi in my LAN, BI app connected fine. Turned of wifi in phone and use LTE, it will not connect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an exact problem with BI in windows 10. I am familiar with networking. I was a certified Microsoft Network Engineer 15 years ago, but not working in network field anymore. I cannot remote view with BI. My swann NVR is remote viewed fine. I followed the instruction in web server of BI to make suire LAN and WAN IPs are correct, created new rule to allow BI goes through router's firewall. BI app in my phone got IP address correctly and still cannot connect.
Welcome to the forum. The problem you describe is different. You cannot make a connection at all to the webserver. Try a different higher port, 8585 for example. Also disable the windows or third party firewall for testing.

dathoang

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. It works with port 8585.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turns out that @stjdicke problem is solved. It was the firewall rules that needed to be added back in after a firmware upgrade to the router that was the problem. He ran the setup wizard after the rules to the firewall were applied and all is good again.