BI running on a new i9-7980XE (18 Cores, 36 Threads) = NICE!!!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
First off, I would not buy more than 32 GB of RAM. Make sure that you split it among enough slots that you get to use all the supported memory channels, though.

As for the CPU, well ... I could never recommend i9-7980XE for Blue Iris. Not because it isn't capable, but because the CPU alone costs more than an entire BI server should cost brand new (SSD, big HDD, and Windows license included!).

i7-8700K is probably a little less capable, even with Quick Sync for hardware acceleration, but at 1/5th the price I think that can be forgiven. I'm pretty confident it would run your cameras just fine if you reduced frame rates to 15 FPS. And then with the reduced load you would probably be fine with 16 GB of RAM.

But since cost doesn't seem to matter for you, I imagine you're going to build another i9 system. In that case you'll need a graphics card. Geforce 1030 is a good option, and can be gotten with either HDMI 2.0 or Displayport to feed the 4K display of your choice. I have an opinion on 4K displays too. LG 43ud79-b is what I use and I love it.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you sir! all good advice....

And hey, I'm not married to this i9 thing, I REALLY did think that the core-count would matter...but as I said in my first post, it did not give me the kind of head-room that I was anticipating/hoping for. So, I will look carefully at your suggested setup....don't want to spend the money needlessly, just want the best that I can get for BI. But either way, I feel like I've reached the limit to the number of cameras I can add, especially given how much I like the 4K variety these days. And yes, I realize others don't see the value of so much resolution...but personally I do!

Thanks again :highfive:

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But since cost doesn't seem to matter for you, I imagine you're going to build another i9 system. In that case you'll need a graphics card. Geforce 1030 is a good option, and can be gotten with either HDMI 2.0 or Displayport to feed the 4K display of your choice. I have an opinion on 4K displays too. LG 43ud79-b is what I use and I love it.
Just trying to follow along here. Why will he need another graphics card? If he went with i7-8700K he will not need another graphics card? I don't follow, can you dumb it down for me ;-)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You misread. i9 CPUs don't have integrated graphics so they require graphics cards. No need for a graphics card with i7-8700K because it has that built-in.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You misread. i9 CPUs don't have integrated graphics so they require graphics cards. No need for a graphics card with i7-8700K because it has that built-in.
Oh OK makes sense now. Thanks.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Folks...Happy New Year to all!

...One more thing worth noting....these i9 processors run HOT! And I mean...Mucho Caliente! :) I had purchased a pretty beefy water cooler setup to go along with the new processor, but it was just not up to the task, so I had to buy a monster 6-Pipe Dual Tower Heatsink from Noctua to keep the temps at acceptable ranges.

Cheers everyone!
I'm really curious when you say you had a "beefy" water cooler setup that couldn't keep up yet an air cooler could? It shouldn't be that way unless you with had the water block installed poorly or your radiator was far too small.... but that said even a single 120mm fan on a good radiator, and assuming proper block installation and not overclocking, should out perform the air cooler. I am running water cooling on all my systems, including my dual Xeon 20 core setup, and the CPUs all run in the 40-45c range under load. The radiator/fan size is key though assuming everything else about the loop is good.

The other question would be where the radiator was located, inside or outside the case, and where it's incoming air source was.

Just curious. Nice rig though. Enjoy.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well....I've installed many of these water coolers, so not sure what I could have done wrong this time. To be specific, I purchased the Cooler Master Liquid Pro 280...big honking radiator and two fans. I installed it pretty much the only place I could which was right next to the CPU, but the case I bought is designed to accommodate this and has a good space for it. The case is a Cooler Master Cosmos II and provides ample space for this stuff.

To be honest, I was quite puzzled as to why it was running so hot. On normal load it was not problem, and the temps would stay right where they should be. But when I ran BI and all the cores started getting utilized, it just went through the roof (as in 75+ degrees Celsius). So, I waited until the new cooler came in (read reviews and heard it was a good one). I installed it and Boom...no issues at all, and under full load for hours and hours.

So yeah, I don't get it! But as I say...I've installed many of these water coolers, so I'm not sure if it's something I did or maybe it's faulty. Either way, it's working just fine now!

Cheers!

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey bp...as a follow up, I DID take a look at the Core i7 that you suggested and am considering buying one...however, I've not got a clear vision in my head for how to utilize the integrated graphics when my motherboard (which I'd like to re-use) does not have any way to output video? Am I missing something here? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but maybe I'm just experiencing a senior moment? As it is now, if I bought this CPU, it would take the place of another (older) CPU already running in a system that I'd like to re-purpose. And that system has a video card in it already.

At any rate...if you could clarify I'd appreciate it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
8th generation Intel CPUs are socket 1151 just like 7th generation, but the chipsets aren't compatible. So chances are your old motherboard isn't compatible. Pretty much ALL 8th-gen i7 compatible motherboards have video outputs.