BI SERVER BOOT DISK PREFERENCE - SSD OR HDD?

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to spec out a BI server and wondering if it's better to have an SDD as the Boot Drive and where BI is running. Sorry if I'm asking a NOOB type question.

Seems most of the used Elitedesk 800's on ebay have an 500GB or 1TB HDD, but some are provisioned with an smaller SDD. Thought it might be easier and more efficient to find one that's already configured with the SDD as the Boot Drive rather than adding one later and having to create a new Boot Drive and migrate the OS to it. New territory for me doing this. There doesn't seem to be a need to have any more HDD disc space on the BI server aside from adding the requisite WD Purple HDD for video storage, which I plan to do. Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to spec out a BI server and wondering if it's better to have an SDD as the Boot Drive and where BI is running. Sorry if I'm asking a NOOB type question.

Seems most of the used Elitedesk 800's on ebay have an 500GB or 1TB HDD, but some are provisioned with an smaller SDD. Thought it might be easier and more efficient to find one that's already configured with the SDD as the Boot Drive rather than adding one later and having to create a new Boot Drive and migrate the OS to it. New territory for me doing this. There doesn't seem to be a need to have any more HDD disc space on the BI server aside from adding the requisite WD Purple HDD for video storage, which I plan to do. Thanks!
use an ssd for the os, blue iris and blue iris database. You will want to reinstall the os clean regardless, using the ms media creation tool

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just buy the best value and if you need to take into account the extra cost of buying an SSD to replace the current drive, that’s what I did. No point paying over the odds just to get it with and SSD.

Then as pointed out by fenderman get onto the Microsoft media creation site and download a copy of Win10 and install it from the stick, most of these PCs will already have a license so will activate with no issues.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@IAmATeaf, @fenderman, @SouthernYankee - thanks for the guidance. Much appreciated.

I will add an SSD if the Elitedesk I find doesn't come with one. Sourcing one with an SSD won't be my priority, just a bonus.
I'll also do a clean OS install if I add the SSD on my own.

In the event I need to buy an SSD, any recommendations? I don't mind spending a little extra for a quality SSD that is bulletproof.

It's an interesting game searching for a used computer on ebay. Never done anything like that before. Kind of addictive at times.
If bidding on an item, do you guys use ebay's automatic bidding tool or a 3rd party snipping tool?
I also see the "make offer" option sometimes on fixed price listings. Wonder how flexible the sellers are. I guess it never hurts to make an offer.

Thanks!