BI Server configuration help

plaino

n3wb
Reaction score
Current Situation: 7 IP cams being recorded constantly at 1080 resolution 30 FPS using BI on a custom desktop - 8 core 4ghz amd Processor, 16GB RAM, SSD drive.
Using direct to disk the CPU hovers around 50-70%

We have 8 new IP cams that will be recorded at 1080 resolution but at 120 FPS. I emailed Ken and he said the software should support it.

I am trying to think of how much processing power I am going to need. It is only 1 extra camera but 4 times the frame rate. My understanding is that this will greatly increase the CPU power needed even doing direct to disk.

I am thinking a real server like from HP or Dell and xeon processors. Any thoughts/ideas? Thank you in advance!

Here is a info sheet on the new cameras we got and a YouTube video of it in action. I can't wait to get them setup!!
http://www.asmag.com/suppliers/productcontent.aspx?co=meritlilin&id=24769

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
what is the exact model of your current processor?

plaino

n3wb
Reaction score
Current processor is AMD FX-8370 Vishera 8-Core 4.0Ghz.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
​Its hard to tell. I think the Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz should suffice. Your current cpu ranks at 9000 this one about 13000....there are more powerful units but you will be spending lots more on it...
My suggestion is to wait until you get the cams and test them with your current system..that will give you some idea of what you need.
Curious as to what you will be using the cameras for?

tjl

n3wb
Reaction score
Must be camera brands I run a 8370e and have 7 cams at 1080p and 2 cams at 720p they are 25fps cams max and they run at 25fps as shown in the software at cbr and 4 bit rate and 10 frame. Dtd and my system runs a constant 42 44% usage. And with preview on 52 to 55% . So if you going to 70% I guess it's the Cams you have?... also I don't have BI control fps I have the Cams do that. And it's constant recording. 120 fps that's smoking fast

plaino

n3wb
Reaction score
fenderman, we are a professional go kart track. We put cams around the track to do live streaming of our local races and I use BI to record the races so we can make our own videos. Even with the cams on poles 30 feet above the track at 30FPS as the karts go by at up to 80MPH it is slightly blurry. So my boss ordered the 120FPS cams so it wouldn't be blurry or at least less blurry, also so maybe we can do instant replays that aren't as blurry. I think I will wait to test the new cams with my current setup. We have 4 of the cams in so far, just waiting on lens's.

tjl, one of our cams is down right now, we we are down to 6. I just started up BI and it is averaging about 45% CPU usage using direct to disk, don't know where i got the 70% from. The cams we have now are Dahua 3MP cams we got off amazon.

thank you both for replying.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool. Note that the high fps may not help the motion blur..the motion blue is mostly a shutter speed issue...play with the speeds on your current camera and see what happens.