BI Settings

Speakle

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I suffered an HDD failure on my CCTV PC. The drive is still readable as a second drive so I want to try and retrieve my settings from the drive.

I copied the entire BI folder from Program Files but this didn't work. It must be there somewhere. Maybe a hidden file?

Does anyone have any ideas?

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you can still start BI from the old drive you need to export settings from the options tab first page. Then do a fresh install of BI and import the settings from the same tab page. If you can't start BI from the HD you need to retrieve the BI registry section.

cage771

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can still start BI from the old drive you need to export settings from the options tab first page. Then do a fresh install of BI and import the settings from the same tab page. If you can't start BI from the HD you need to retrieve the BI registry section.
Indeed, the config settings reside in the registry. It's been awhile, but I have used freeware to obtain Microsoft keys and other registry files off of drives that have failed boot sectors. Some were Windows based programs while others were Linux based bootable thumb drives and CDs. It's not that hard, but will take some time and research (and some trial and error!) to find the solution.

It might be easier to rebuild from scratch and keep notes....

Good luck!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It might be easier to rebuild from scratch and keep notes....

Good luck!!
fyi, you dont have to keep notes...simply export your settings and save on a backup drive, usb, cloud..

cage771

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fyi, you dont have to keep notes...simply export your settings and save on a backup drive, usb, cloud..
Very true. That is the proper and best way to go.

The only reason I suggested taking notes is due to my experience integrating different cameras into BI (most notably Samsung Smart Cams). Having a quick reference of IPs, username/password, ports, path, etc. has been invaluable after a crash or when adding a new camera. I employ the same standards at home that I do at work where we use Axis cams into Milestone or Avigilon.