BI slower with each upgrade

rebelbah

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All
have a Dell Precision T3600 Xeon E5-2690 2.90GHz 32GB RAM 8 Core 16 Thread Machine that I was running about 20 cameras from 2MP to 5MP 75% being 3-4MP and had no issues with running slow always running below 60%, moved same machine to different location and running 8 cameras 3-4MP, same settings on cameras and BI, same network equipment Brand, and now machine pegged at 100% ALL THE TIME the last few updates, to current BI V5.3.7.1, any suggestions

podrick

n3wb
Reaction score
One other thing I can think of is, not sure if applicable or not, if you update windows, it gets slower and slower over time, it's just the way it is. I keep my machine offline for that purpose, it only has LAN access.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is an 8 year old processor that does not support quick sync. It will not run bi very well. You must use substreams. What is your mp/s value ?

rebelbah

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is an 8 year old processor that does not support quick sync. It will not run bi very well. You must use substreams. What is your mp/s value ?
it was running fine before the BI upgrades with more then double the cameras, will check into the sub-streams

rebelbah

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using the substream addition that BI incorporated and running at a lower substream option? If not, use them as it will bring the CPU usage down a lot.
going to check into the substeam setting now

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The latest update is pulling the 2nd substreams, which for a lot of cameras are higher quality than the 1st substream, so that could be part of it to.

rebelbah

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you all for you quick response and great advice

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you aren't the only one who has said performance got worse with a BI update (often after upgrading version 4 to latest 5.x). This has not been my experience with BI 5, but I'm obviously not running the same configurations as everyone else.

Most software gets slower over time (with updates) due to new features or bugfixes, and sometimes lazy programming. Then occasionally we get optimizations that give back some of the lost performance, or new features like sub stream support that give enormous performance gains, but must be enabled in order to benefit. Overall, it is possible for BI5 to run well on much less powerful hardware than it used to require, but you need to optimize things for CPU usage as outlined in the wiki here.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it's more of a hardware and memory related problem. I've seen, if anything, a slight decrease in utilization as the 5.3.x.x revisions have come along. Maybe only a percent or two, but still a decrease. That's running on "bare" hardware, not a VM, using hardware acceleration and substreams.