BI Software Issues

jnowland

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased the BI software earlier this year. I wanted software, which could allow me to view my home cameras, regardless what brand/technology they are. I have two IP cameras, 6 cameras connected to a DVR and now I have 2 P2P type cameras. I have all of my cameras set up on the BI software except for the 2 P2P cameras. Before getting to my problem with my connected cameras, is there any way to view my P2P cameras with BI. I have tried literally everything, to no avail.

Now, with the cameras I have connected. The 2 IP cameras are fairly stable. However, the cameras I have connected to my DVR are intermittent. What I mean is they often go offline, sometimes just for a second or two, and sometimes for several minutes before they come back online. Using the CMS software, which came with the DVR, all cameras are stable with no unstability issues. I have sought out support from Blue Iris customer support, but they always want to gain access so they cam take a look themselves. I don't feel comfortable with that and besides, the issue I am describing is fairly straight forward. I cannot understand why they are unable to give me things to check/change/adjust. So to not make this post a novel, I can provide all of the camera/DVR make/model info upon request. Please help. I hate feeling like I got scammed for $60!:sad:

Reaction score
What are the model numbers of the IP cameras and who makes them?
By DVR, I'm assuming the 6 cameras connected to the DVR are analog and not ip? Whats the model of the DVR and cameras.
How are you connecting Blue iris to the analog cameras/DVR?
How are the IP cameras hooked into your network? Have you set DHCP reservations and static IP address on your internal network for the ip cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased the BI software earlier this year. I wanted software, which could allow me to view my home cameras, regardless what brand/technology they are. I have two IP cameras, 6 cameras connected to a DVR and now I have 2 P2P type cameras. I have all of my cameras set up on the BI software except for the 2 P2P cameras. Before getting to my problem with my connected cameras, is there any way to view my P2P cameras with BI. I have tried literally everything, to no avail.

Now, with the cameras I have connected. The 2 IP cameras are fairly stable. However, the cameras I have connected to my DVR are intermittent. What I mean is they often go offline, sometimes just for a second or two, and sometimes for several minutes before they come back online. Using the CMS software, which came with the DVR, all cameras are stable with no unstability issues. I have sought out support from Blue Iris customer support, but they always want to gain access so they cam take a look themselves. I don't feel comfortable with that and besides, the issue I am describing is fairly straight forward. I cannot understand why they are unable to give me things to check/change/adjust. So to not make this post a novel, I can provide all of the camera/DVR make/model info upon request. Please help. I hate feeling like I got scammed for $60!:sad:
Welcome to the forum! Blue iris is exceptional software and you will not find anything even close in this price range. You can try to increase the receive buffer (video tab>configuration) to the 20mb max. Other than that you will need to give the developer access to the unit, many of these units stream in several different ways and he needs to be able to test it..Dont walk nude in from of the cameras while he is testing and you will be fine..once hes done, change the password. What are you afraid of? Dont see what the problem is.
As far a p2p..what camera is it?

jnowland

n3wb
Reaction score
The 2 IP cameras are Loftek. One is a 3200 and the other 2200. Those 2 cameras work pretty well. The ones connected to the DVR are the ones that keep losing signal. The DVR is an Anran DVR, which I purchased on Amazon. The cameras are actually of various brands, which all view perfectly using the CMS software packaged with the DVR. And yes, they are all analog. The DVR info is:
[h=1]ANRAN 960H 8 Channels Full D1 DVR CCTV Network Mobile Motion Detection 8CH H.264 Digital Video Recorder For Surveillance Security Camera System[/h]Item model number: V1008-F

Unlike the CMS software, where I simply connect to the DVR and choose how many channels, the only way I could connect with Blue Iris is as individual cameras. I use a ddns for my DVR.

The IP cameras as well as the DVR have static IPs on my home network, with port forwarding activated.

jnowland

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman - I have increased the buffer size to 20 after seeing that advice given to others on this forum. However, I am still experiencing intermittent signal loss.

The 2 p2p cameras are fairly generic, one being Citronics and the other purchased from outdoorsell on Amazon. In the description online is:
Wireless Network:WIFI Network protocol:Standard
"HTTP,TCP/IP,ICMP,UDP,SMTP,FTP,DHCP,DNS,PPPOE Network transmission:Built Hite cloud video
transmission protocol"

I figured I would be able to view this camera with any surveillance software however, I have only been able to get it working using the mobile app and the cms software shipped with the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman - I have increased the buffer size to 20 after seeing that advice given to others on this forum. However, I am still experiencing intermittent signal loss.

The 2 p2p cameras are fairly generic, one being Citronics and the other purchased from outdoorsell on Amazon. In the description online is:
Wireless Network:WIFI Network protocol:Standard
"HTTP,TCP/IP,ICMP,UDP,SMTP,FTP,DHCP,DNS,PPPOE Network transmission:Built Hite cloud video
transmission protocol"

I figured I would be able to view this camera with any surveillance software however, I have only been able to get it working using the mobile app and the cms software shipped with the camera.
The camera needs to be capable of sending a proper stream to blue iris...if the camera does not support streaming to third party software by way of standard protocols then it wont work.
You cannot expect blue iris to detect you dvr and display all the cameras, you need to setup each channel as a distinct feed...that is how third party vms works...its not going to be automatic with the thousands of different dvr/nvr/cameras. When you enter the dvr ip address in blue iris are you using your local address? or your ddns address?

jnowland

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman - I am using my ddns address. I don't have a static WAN ip from my provider infortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

jnowland

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, I understand what you are saying. I am not using Blue Iris on my Home Network. I am using the software remotely at work. At home I simply use my tablet, or television.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I understand what you are saying. I am not using Blue Iris on my Home Network. I am using the software remotely at work. At home I simply use my tablet, or television.
That would explain drops... The cms software is likely pulling a sub stream for the matrix view.. Blue iris will pull the mainstream unless you specify the correct url for the substream

jnowland

n3wb
Reaction score
Where do I check this on Blue Iris? First, I really appreciate your time with this. Could you please explain the difference between main/substream? And which one should be used when.....etc? Thanks again

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Where do I check this on Blue Iris? First, I really appreciate your time with this. Could you please explain the difference between main/substream? And which one should be used when.....etc? Thanks again
You can check the bandwidth each cam is sending to blue iris...this will tell you if its the main or substream...the substream is a reduced resolution stream available on most cameras and dvrs for remote viewing. Most software packages supplied by manufactures actually stream the substream when viewing the cameras in matrix view.