BI storage question

sc11223344

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi-

I'm setting up a new system, and I'm new to BI. Question about managing storage. It seems like it would be nice if there was a way to do the following:

1) Store continuous recording for "N" days
2) After "N" days, store only motion clips (either for "X" days, or maybe until disk is "Y" % full)

Obviously this would require some periodic cleanup/housekeeping processing, but seems like pruning the clips to remove all non-motion sections wouldn't be hugely CPU intensive.

Doesn't seem like this is an option .... is there any way to do something like this?

Thanks in advance...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi-

I'm setting up a new system, and I'm new to BI. Question about managing storage. It seems like it would be nice if there was a way to do the following:

1) Store continuous recording for "N" days
2) After "N" days, store only motion clips (either for "X" days, or maybe until disk is "Y" % full)

Obviously this would require some periodic cleanup/housekeeping processing, but seems like pruning the clips to remove all non-motion sections wouldn't be hugely CPU intensive.

Doesn't seem like this is an option .... is there any way to do something like this?

Thanks in advance...
No, other than cloning the cameras and recording twice...you can email the developer and ask him to add this function...

sc11223344

n3wb
Reaction score
No, other than cloning the cameras and recording twice...you can email the developer and ask him to add this function...
Got it. So if I cloned the camera, then I would basically have both the continuous recordings *and* the clips stored for the first "N" days, and then the continuous recordings would be deleted, leaving just the motion clips. That might be a reasonable workaround. Does cloning a camera cause 2x CPU usage? (this is direct-to-disk if it matters).

And presumably "cloning" means creating a new BI camera item, pointed to the same camera, so BI is actually processing 2 streams then I assume, which also means 2x cameras showing up in my "all camera" view .... maybe that's not as ideal now that I think about it.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Got it. So if I cloned the camera, then I would basically have both the continuous recordings *and* the clips stored for the first "N" days, and then the continuous recordings would be deleted, leaving just the motion clips. That might be a reasonable workaround. Does cloning a camera cause 2x CPU usage? (this is direct-to-disk if it matters).

Thanks!
cloning will not noticeably increase cpu because blue iris will only pull a single stream...make sure to hide the camera so it doesnt appear twice on the screen...
simply set the cloned camera to record to one of the aux folders and set the retention to your liking...another thing you can do is record the substream using the clone, this will pull a second stream but it will be lower res so should not have too much of an impact...this will allow you to store much more data...

sc11223344

n3wb
Reaction score
cloning will not noticeably increase cpu because blue iris will only pull a single stream...make sure to hide the camera so it doesnt appear twice on the screen...
simply set the cloned camera to record to one of the aux folders and set the retention to your liking...another thing you can do is record the substream using the clone, this will pull a second stream but it will be lower res so should not have too much of an impact...this will allow you to store much more data...
Great - thanks for the tips. I'm liking the flexibility with BI ... much better than the Synology NAS I've been using until now....