BI Support Plans

Bow94z

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So with the latest update I see they have introduced Support Plans. Running V4 for roughly a year now, it looks like my support will run out in a few days. So this means the software will not update anymore?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So with the latest update I see they have introduced Support Plans. Running V4 for roughly a year now, it looks like my support will run out in a few days. So this means the software will not update anymore?

Thanks
You will have EXACTLY the same update rights as before. Nothing has changed except the limited email support for 1 year only. This is still way cheaper than ANY other vms.

Bow94z

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
k. This part of the release notes make it sound like you will only get continued updates with the Extended support plan.
"Extended support includes continued access to email support, software updates and all major version upgrades that occur while you are covered."

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
k. This part of the release notes make it sound like you will only get continued updates with the Extended support plan.
"Extended support includes continued access to email support, software updates and all major version upgrades that occur while you are covered."
As I understand it that is explaining what you get with the extended support - its all inclusive. It does not mean you dont get updates otherwise. Proof is in the pudding, the last few releases were available for everyone.

Audioadam

n3wb
Reaction score
When he says "major" updates, I believe he is referring to primary versions, i.e. Version 5 will be next. From history I believe he has done this every two years or so. He has always (to my knowledge) charged for version upgrades (like Windows ... Except for 10). I don't see how anyone could be upset with this change, unless they themselves like to get up and go to their work for free each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bow94z

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not upset with the change. I totally agree we should all be charged for Version upgrades like we all did with V4. My console shows I have basic support that expires tomorrow 1/11/16. I was trying to clarify what was said in the release notes. "Extended support includes continued access to email support, software updates and all major version upgrades that occur while you are covered"

It sounded like the software updates would stop if did not have a extended support plan.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I just got an email from Ken where he said that he while he encourages the extended support and will eventually require extended support even for minor updates, he will be providing the minor updates free during a grace period. Not sure how long that will last.

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
personally, I don't think he should do this, it'll just fragment the versions out there even more. I don't mind paying for the major updates every few years. Does anyone know what extended support pricing is? I'd hate to also get extended support, then a new major version comes out. Unless he offers a special upgrade for users still on extended support. But it is great software. I am impressed by the feature set and improvements he keeps adding.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are the costs? I haven't upgraded yet cause I use AMD. So, we buy Blue Iris, then pay more? Monthly?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What are the costs? I haven't upgraded yet cause I use AMD. So, we buy Blue Iris, then pay more? Monthly?
No, you get one year of basic support. If you want another year its 30 dollars. You can choose not to pay and just keep running the same version of 4 you have..

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It seems like a terrible model to charge an upfront cost, and then ongoing costs to get updates. It seems like a better model to go completely subscription or not. This seems to be double dipping.

Perhaps a better model would be to look at a home use and commercial use - eg $59 for a home user with free updates, and $59 a year for commercial users. It's not fair to charge a home user so much and expect them to keep paying for updates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
$30 a year you say? Basic support you say? I understand a raise I also understand a huge raise. My complaint is BI has never been completely bug free, well at least for two years. It would be nice to buy a working, bug free, set it and go copy. You know for people like me who really set a few cams on motion detection and the rest to record 24/7... Plus the motion detection is NOT that great! You say $30 a year. Funny how not to long ago I started a thread: Advantages of a NVR Vs. Blue Iris and a PC? Well folks are you smart? Can you figure out the better deal? Since I don't argue on forums I'll be watching your responses. My 2 cents.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
$30 a year you say? Basic support you say? I understand a raise I also understand a huge raise. My complaint is BI has never been completely bug free, well at least for two years. It would be nice to buy a working, bug free, set it and go copy. You know for people like me who really set a few cams on motion detection and the rest to record 24/7... Plus the motion detection is NOT that great! You say $30 a year. Funny how not to long ago I started a thread: Advantages of a NVR Vs. Blue Iris and a PC? Well folks are you smart? Can you figure out the better deal? Since I don't argue on forums I'll be watching your responses. My 2 cents.
Blue iris has always been bug free. This issue has been discussed over and over. If you set your blue iris to update at automatically then you only have yourself to blame. If you dont wait until updates are stable before updating you only have yourself to blame. If you are not using a dedicated pc with a CLEAN install of windows you only have yourself to blame. I run over 20 BI systems that are 100 percent stable. Every pc is different, all cameras are different there will always be issues in new releases. Thats the beauty of blue iris. He pushes TONS of new features frequently and you have the OPTION to update.

Blue iris motion detection far surpasses the average camera - you need to read the help file and learn how to use it and it can detect in camera motion. Again you don't need to update and it will be just like an nvr... If you don't need or want the benefits of a pc based vms then it's not for you. As far as pc based vms blue iris remains the best value out there. Nvrs are far from bug free, all you need to do is search the forum to see that. The alerts are a joke on nvrs and hikvisions mobile app is a complete joke - trying to review video quickly and precisely is almost impossible. I could never go back to an nvr. In the thread you linked to I point to just some of the benefits of BI over a standalone nvr. You only need to pay the 30 dollars if you want to keep getting updates that add new features, that is something that you wont get in an NVR, so just dont pay and run the same version of blue iris until the next major release. Blue iris remains far superior to an NVR unless all you want to do is simply record and dont care about all other functions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems like a terrible model to charge an upfront cost, and then ongoing costs to get updates. It seems like a better model to go completely subscription or not. This seems to be double dipping.

Perhaps a better model would be to look at a home use and commercial use - eg $59 for a home user with free updates, and $59 a year for commercial users. It's not fair to charge a home user so much and expect them to keep paying for updates.
This is the model that most other vms use, except that that also charge 100 per camera and charge WAY more for support which ends after 90 days.

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
one thing he'll have to figure out is where to store all the different versions when/if he goes to this model. If I purchase BI4 and after a year, I'm at version 4.1.9 and I don't get extended support, if I have to reinstall, how do I get to 4.1.9? Will there be a base version - 4.0.0 to install, then it figures out how high a version I'm entitled to?

Perhaps it's easier for all to just charge a little bit more for the major upgrade (which I hope doesn't come every year...).

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Personally I am against any type of "subscription" service/plan/whatever you want to call it

If he wants to 'implement' this - the right way to do it would be with the introduction of a major version change - like version 5. When I bought version 3 and version 4 it was my understanding that any upgrades short of a version change would be free... I don't think it's right to change midstream

Also - had I known I was paying for 'support' that only lasted a year. Every time I had a question I would have just emailed him instead of spending hours searching this forum and the internet for the answers

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I am against any type of "subscription" service/plan/whatever you want to call it

If he wants to 'implement' this - the right way to do it would be with the introduction of a major version change - like version 5. When I bought version 3 and version 4 it was my understanding that any upgrades short of a version change would be free... I don't think it's right to change midstream
Or he can just release version 5 next week...or stop adding features until he releases v5 he is under no obligation to add features for free. There is nothing wrong with what he is doing. Its not even implemented yet, so we dont know when the free updates will stop. This really amounts to possibly an extra 30 dollars every 3 years. Its nothing.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Or he can just release version 5 next week...or stop adding features until he releases v5 he is under no obligation to add features for free. There is nothing wrong with what he is doing. Its not even implemented yet, so we dont know when the free updates will stop. This really amounts to possibly an extra 30 dollars every 3 years. Its nothing.
Well - that I can live with, I hadn't heard/seen any dollar amounts before this. Still don't like annual fees/subscriptions though! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well - that I can live with, I hadn't heard/seen any dollar amounts before this. Still don't like annual fees/subscriptions though! :)
Its 30 a year but you also get the major update...so over 3 years it 90, but you get the value of the major revision.