BI Support Plans

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Its 30 a year but you also get the major update...so over 3 years it 90, but you get the value of the major revision.
Well - for $30 per year (which is almost what the program cost to begin with) there better be some MAJOR improvements - like the remote console....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well - for $30 per year (which is almost what the program cost to begin with) there better be some MAJOR improvements - like the remote console....
Its all optional, if you dont want the improvements - if you feel that are too minor, simply stick with the version you have. Quite frankly blue iris is extremely undervalued. It would have to jump to at least 300 probably more for me to consider alternatives. Consider this if you look at a 6 year term, assuming you buy BI when a new release is introduced. Under the old scheme, you have paid 60 + 75 (135) (he gave discounts for upgrades but doesnt have to) , lets assume a 15 dollar increase for version 5. Under the new scheme your cost will be 60(initial purchase) + 150 (five additional years of support), 210. So we have a 75 dollar increase spread over 6 years which amounts to 12.50 per year or a dollar a month.

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was going to ask about a roadmap, then I searched and found it. FYI:

• A roadmap has been set for the next several years of version 4.x development. Based on your feedback, time will be invested into items such as motion tracking, further enhancement of motion detection along with the use of various smart filters, bulk and/or automatic export of movie content to transportable formats, revisions to the browser clients including a PC client version, investment into full-time support staff, as well as additional documentation in the form of tutorials and a full-form “manual.” Of course Blue Iris will always strive to stay ahead of the crowd with support for the latest camera technologies and Smartphone client app updates.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. Is it $30 for year one two and three, or is it $59 up front, and then $30 for year 2 and 3 making it $119 all up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. Is it $30 for year one two and three, or is it $59 up front, and then $30 for year 2 and 3 making it $119 all up.
If you dont already own blue iris it will be 119 for a 3 year term, if you choose to receive updates after the first year, you can simply not sign up for support and only pay the initial 59. Remember, extended support includes the update to the newest major releases as well (v5).

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This actually sounds quite reasonable then if it includes the major updates. I went down the NVR route as I could get the whole system for about $US150 with no ongoing costs, as opposed a dedicated PC and Blue Iris at more than 3 times the cost. The problem with the NVR solution is that you are basically on your own when it comes to updates and bug fixes unless you get from a reputable supplier, but sadly for most countries AliExpress is the only option.

Remember, extended support includes the update to the newest major releases as well (v5).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This actually sounds quite reasonable then if it includes the major updates. I went down the NVR route as I could get the whole system for about $US150 with no ongoing costs, as opposed a dedicated PC and Blue Iris at more than 3 times the cost. The problem with the NVR solution is that you are basically on your own when it comes to updates and bug fixes unless you get from a reputable supplier, but sadly for most countries AliExpress is the only option.
Remember, that blue iris also has no ongoing costs. It only costs money if you want new features and support (and to date, updates have still been available free). NVR updates generally do not add features so you are in the same position with blue iris and an NVR. For a basic setup, its costs 360 to setup a blue iris machine. Haswell i5-4590 for 300 and 60 for the software. With a pc you also have the advantage of changing software if you choose and they are much easier to repair or replace quickly. For example the business pc's have a three year next business day warranty so you can be up and running one day after a failure (sooner if you have a spare pc or pick one up locally). How long will it take to resolve an issue with an NVR purchased on ali or even a local seller?

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the other pro to Blue Iris vs a dedicated NVR, one less device if you already have a beefy enough workstation that's on 24/7. I already had a media PC, so I upgraded that to a new one with a CPU beefy enough to handle my torrents, Plex Server, a Win7 virtual machine, as well as Blue Iris.

Bow94z

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Blue iris has always been bug free. This issue has been discussed over and over. If you set your blue iris to update at automatically then you only have yourself to blame. If you dont wait until updates are stable before updating you only have yourself to blame. If you are not using a dedicated pc with a CLEAN install of windows you only have yourself to blame. I run over 20 BI systems that are 100 percent stable. Every pc is different, all cameras are different there will always be issues in new releases. Thats the beauty of blue iris. He pushes TONS of new features frequently and you have the OPTION to update.

Agree.Running V3 and V4 in several sites.very reliable.

Ive been running v4 for a year now. The only part I wasn't happy with is the fact my support expired already.

Would love to see a remote console and improved web interface. Always liked the iphone app

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree.Running V3 and V4 in several sites.very reliable.

Ive been running v4 for a year now. The only part I wasn't happy with is the fact my support expired already.

Would love to see a remote console and improved web interface. Always liked the iphone app
That app is one of the best features. Makes reviewing video really easy.

Bow94z

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That app is one of the best features. Makes reviewing video really easy.
no doubt. Used a bunch of different systems and their remote apps, nothing compares to BI app.

glad I opened this thread, I knew I was reading the release notes correctly when it sounded like you need the extended support plan to get minor updates. .

is there currently a v4 version download library like there was for v3 downloads?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
no doubt. Used a bunch of different systems and their remote apps, nothing compares to BI app.

glad I opened this thread, I knew I was reading the release notes correctly when it sounded like you need the extended support plan to get minor updates. .

is there currently a v4 version download library like there was for v3 downloads?
Not that I know of.. I download updates from website so I have them for future use.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not that I know of.. I download updates from website so I have them for future use.
Is there any way I can get a copy of the 4.1.9.2 version from you? That is currently what I am running as stable and would like to have a copy to rollback to if the latest version (which I have yet to load) does not work for me.