BI system

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
While I returned the system The Hook Up spoke so highly of I ended up buying the same PC he suggested
That arrived yesterday.

Dell Optiplex 7040
I7 6700 3.4 quad core with hyperthreading & quick sync
16GB DDR 4
Windows 10 Pro 64 but

I looked through the BI update helper and it appears to me this should easily handle 6 - 8MP cameras At 15-20 FPS. From the newbie guide this should handle 500-800 MPs and 6x8x17fps = 817 MPs

Fenderman suggested a i5 8500 to someone looking at the same system I just bought.I had hoped I could add a few cameras indoors
Too but it looks like the hook up recommendations still got me in the end ?

I hope I’m reading the BI update helper correctly and if so I should be able to handle more than 800 MPs ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quit overthinking now LOL.

Your machine is more than capable. Many people have a 6th generation CPU and a lot more cameras than you and are running just fine. As I mentioned in your other thread, follow EVERY optimization and you will be fine. Substreams are a must and brought a lot of new life to older CPUs, so do not skip that thinking it isn't important.

I have way more cameras than 8 on a 4th generation CPU and it is running sub 15%. Another member here is running 50 cameras on a 4th generation in the 30% range. All by following all the optimizations in the wiki.

Would we all like and recommend a newer machine - yes - but if you got a good deal on a 6700, then all is good.

Personally I would be more concerned about the 8MP cameras you are getting and are they on a 1/1.2" or better sensor?

Last edited:

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
Personally I would be more concerned about the 8MP cameras you are getting and are they on a 1/1.2" or better sensor?

I still haven’t decided on a camera yet because I’ve been searching and reading on the forums here. I only know 6 cameras should cover the outside based on the calculator I used that was surprising in the newbie guide lol. I wanted to figure on the high end of things so I used 8MP x 6 cameras. Sounds like the formula isn’t perfect based on what you said about 4th generation systems running all those cameras. While looking into cameras I’ll look for 1/1.2” or better sensors.I still have a lot of reading to do but at least I can put my mind at ease on my hardware

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are off to a very good start. Go slow.
Your computer will easily handle 20+ 4 MP cameras at 15FPS if properly configured.

Keep it simple, start with one high quality variable focused camera. Use a 2x4 and a 5 gallon bucket of rocks for a test mount, test each camera location for both day and night use, Check for the correct lens. Test at night with a "bad guy" wearing a hoodie, Can the video be used as an ID for the cops ? If not then change the camera or the placement.

Do not get caught up on MegaPixels, The best consumer cameras are at 4MP with a 1/1.8 sensors. It is better to buy more cameras then to have few very expensive 8MP with 1/1.2 sensors. More megapixel is not necessarily better.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
To save money do it right the first time.
Test do not guess

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

My house currently....
============================================
1) the front door three cameras, one doorbell camera, one pointing at the package drop area, one pointing back to the front door.
2) the garage entrance, two cameras pointing out mounted no higher than the top of the garage door.
3) the inside of the garage need two cameras one point at the garage door and one point at the house entrance
4) each entrance to the house must be covered by a camera.
5) each camera must be covered by another camera, If i can destroy a camera it must be covered, recorded by another camera.
6) in my house all public areas inside are covered, kitchen, living room, dining room, halls, game room, den
7) all outside doors are covered by a camera inside, pointing out.
=============================================

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm running a similar system to the OP, i7-6700, only 8GB ram, Win 10 Pro. I have 12 cameras on it, 8@ 4MP, 3@2MP, 1@0.3MP. Generally they are running 20 fps, one at 15 fps and one running its little heart out at 6 fps. According to BI status page, I'm running 9.5MB/s and 85 MP/s. I have Deep Stack and ALPRD running, and the machine typically runs less than 10% CPU.

So, @wittaj is right, Do NOT overthink it!!

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running a similar system to the OP, i7-6700, only 8GB ram, Win 10 Pro. I have 12 cameras on it, 8@ 4MP, 3@2MP, 1@0.3MP. Generally they are running 20 fps, one at 15 fps and one running its little heart out at 6 fps. According to BI status page, I'm running 9.5MB/s and 85 MP/s. I have Deep Stack and ALPRD running, and the machine typically runs less than 10% CPU.

So, @wittaj is right, Do NOT overthink it!!
That’s good to hear, thanks for sharing that. With zero experience with a surveillance system I didn’t know what
To expect. I would hate to have needed
A more robust system when this one just
Arrived.
Thanks again