BI UI3 Clarification RE Server Status - FPS

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Would someone clarify what the UI3 (lower left corner) Server Status - FPS represents? Is it the FPS being pumped from BI to the UI3 running at the time? How is it calculated?
Thanks!

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How many frames can the UI handle and how is the number set? What affects the rate? I sometimes see a red or yellow bar and need to find out why... Many thanks!

Attachments

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I'm anything but an expert.

The frame rate is set, basically by the config in the BI web server. It is further effected by the speed of your network connection. The next thing is the machine you're watching on, which browser and what streaming profile you're using. To my knowledge UI3 has no real limit other than what the hardware and communications capabilities are.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
UI3 calculates the actual frame rate that it is displaying, and that is the number at the end of the FPS bar. To figure out how full the FPS bar should be, UI3 relies on Blue Iris to tell it what the FPS is supposed to be for each camera. If you view a 15 FPS camera then the bar will be full if your stream reaches or exceeds 15 FPS. If you view a 30 FPS camera then the bar will be full at or above 30 FPS. Perhaps this shouldn't be under "Server Status", but there just isn't a better place for it.

There are many cases where it is normal for the FPS bar to not be "full".
  • If you stream with one of the JPEG modes, those have a highly variable frame rate and usually it is rather low, resulting in the FPS bar not being full.
  • Blue Iris does not report the max frame rate for group streams (displaying more than one camera at once), so UI3 just assumes 10 FPS for them. The default group stream frame rate is actually 5 FPS so it is common for you to see the bar around 50% when streaming a group.
  • You could change the frame rate of a camera and then go back to watch one of its clips from yesterday. Blue Iris will only have reported that camera's current frame rate, so it won't match the actual frame rate of the clip.
  • Changing the clip playback speed will affect your stream's FPS, but not affect the point where the bar is full. E.g. 0.5x speed for a 30 FPS clip results in a 15 FPS stream and the FPS bar will be around half full.
  • Setting a frame rate limit in a streaming profile can affect your FPS, but will not affect the point where the FPS bar is full. So, 5 FPS limit and 15 FPS camera means the FPS bar will end up being around 33% full.

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Brian, this is excellent! Thanks so much for all your hard work on UI3. I think it is an outstanding addition to BI! I have some things to look at with all this info....