BI updates video every 5-10 seconds on all cameras

bugmenot01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For about 6 months now (give or take a couple months), when I view video using Blue Iris application or WEB UI, it only updates the frames every 5-10 seconds on BI app and every 2-3 seconds on WEB UI. On same PC, I can use IE and stream both Amcrest cameras with decent frame rates. I have not updated the BI configuration for a year or so and it used to work great.

When I watch recordings, it is choppy (updated frames every 2-3 seconds).

The network between BI and the cameras is wired (GB Ethernet).

I have no idea what to look at. Even when I set traffic signal to red (no alerts, no recording, ...) it is still slow. The CPU usage is low (95+% idle).

BI v. 4.8.4.5x64
I7-7700 with 8GB RAM

Any ideas? It has been mostly unusable for the last 6 months.

Thank You.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Are your cameras set to record direct to disk ?
2) is limit decoding unless required checked or unchecked
3) are you using an Intel or AMD processor ?
4) What is hardware acceleration decode set to ?
5) what is the frame rate on the camera set to ?
6) what is the iframe value for the cameras ?

bugmenot01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1) Are your cameras set to record direct to disk ?
2) is limit decoding unless required checked or unchecked
3) are you using an Intel or AMD processor ?
4) What is hardware acceleration decode set to ?
5) what is the frame rate on the camera set to ?
6) what is the iframe value for the cameras ?
1> Direct to disk: yes
2> Limit decoding unless required: unchecked
3> Intel Core I7-7700
4> Default
5> Both cameras 15FPS in camera setup, 38FPS Max in BI, one 720P and other 1080P
6> I Frame interval is 30 in both cameras

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@bugmenot01 What brand of cams? turn off smart codec or any + codec like 264+.
are you viewing on using windows remote desktop or local monitor?

bugmenot01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bugmenot01 What brand of cams? turn off smart codec or any + codec like 264+.
are you viewing on using windows remote desktop or local monitor?
Both Amcrest IP cameras. The 720P one is H.264 and the 1080P is H.264H

It's a headless PC, so using remote desktop. Video using browser directly to camera works fine on the PC with BI installed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Both Amcrest IP cameras. The 720P one is H.264 and the 1080P is H.264H

It's a headless PC, so using remote desktop. Video using browser directly to camera works fine on the PC with BI installed.
When you use remote desktop blue iris throttles fps by default. You need to go to blue iris options>cameras>video during remote desktop >unrestricted

bugmenot01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you use remote desktop blue iris throttles fps by default. You need to go to blue iris options>cameras>video during remote desktop >unrestricted
Thanks for pointing out that option, that got rid of the 5-sec delay on the BI UI client.

My problem now is with the web client (UI3). It jumps wildly between 1 and 5 fps (sometimes jumps to 15 fps and back down again) and I'm getting the orange clock overlay stating that the stream is delayed. I get this on remote browsers w/o remote desktop running and I also get it when I run the browser on the same PC as the BI server.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out that option, that got rid of the 5-sec delay on the BI UI client.

My problem now is with the web client (UI3). It jumps wildly between 1 and 5 fps (sometimes jumps to 15 fps and back down again) and I'm getting the orange clock overlay stating that the stream is delayed. I get this on remote browsers w/o remote desktop running and I also get it when I run the browser on the same PC as the BI server.
What browser are you using? Are you streaming h264 or jpeg

bugmenot01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What browser are you using? Are you streaming h264 or jpeg
Chrome on Windows 10. I've tried H264 and JPEG, both low and hi-def.

I may run some networking tests but since it still behaves poorly even when I run the browser on the same PC as the server, I doubt this would provide any clues. I believe this happened after a BI update (no config changes on my end) but it was awhile ago and I don't remember exactly what version was updated. I may try to re-install or even see if I can download and install older versions of BI (if they are available).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Chrome on Windows 10. I've tried H264 and JPEG, both low and hi-def.

I may run some networking tests but since it still behaves poorly even when I run the browser on the same PC as the server, I doubt this would provide any clues. I believe this happened after a BI update (no config changes on my end) but it was awhile ago and I don't remember exactly what version was updated. I may try to re-install or even see if I can download and install older versions of BI (if they are available).
Reinstall the latest version. It runs fune.

bugmenot01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I finally got around to reinstalling BI4 and now it won't start. I'm getting a dialog with the following error when starting:
BlueIris.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).

This is the 64-bit version. I am using Win10Pro.

I said to not uninstall the registry settings, licence key, etc..., wanted to avoid having to spend a day or two setting this thing up. I did export the settings but have no idea if import/export even works so was going to use that as a last resort.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I finally got around to reinstalling BI4 and now it won't start. I'm getting a dialog with the following error when starting:
BlueIris.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).

This is the 64-bit version. I am using Win10Pro.

I said to not uninstall the registry settings, licence key, etc..., wanted to avoid having to spend a day or two setting this thing up. I did export the settings but have no idea if import/export even works so was going to use that as a last resort.
There is another thread or two indicating a bug in the recent installer. Email support.

bugmenot01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is another thread or two indicating a bug in the recent installer. Email support.
Will do, thanks. I did see another thread that talked about using Dependency Walker but that's not something I want to mess with.