BI with Reolink RLC-420-5MP and GentlePumpkin's AI setup

birdie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm new to security cameras and Blue Iris. I picked up 4x Reolink RLC-420-5MP cameras recently, with the plan of one on each corner of the house to cover the front yard and the back yard.

I've set them up following The Hook Up's video based on GentlePumpkin's AI setup:

I've got the camera cameras setup with the SD steam being recorded full time and generating the motion images that are then used by the AI stack to trigger the HD recording and generate a push alert to the BI app on my phone.

Now I've found its hit and miss with getting the alerts and recordings, I can walk out in front of the cameras and not get an alert and someone can pull up in the driveway and then a couple of minutes later I'll get the alert.

The built-in motion detection on the cameras is far more responsive (a bit too much so at times).

Where do I start looking to get it tuned better?

I've attached screenshots of my BI and AITool Settings.

I'm not sure if BI is using the camera's built-in motion trigger as well or if its only using the BI Motion detection?

I'm also unsure if I have the camera settings set correctly, I wonder if it should be the Reolink new firmware option but I couldn't work out how to configure it correctly. Or if I should use some RTSP settings instead?

Any advice welcome :)

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - just to be clear, a number of us have issues with this reviewer and his reviews being incomplete or deceptive with regards to how he grades Reolink products as a superior choice.

Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"

birdie

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI - just to be clear, a number of us have issues with this reviewer and his reviews being incomplete or deceptive with regards to how he grades Reolink products as a superior choice.

Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"
Fair enough... I'm happy with the quality of my cameras though, I don't need the best setup out there :) For AU$20 each for the 4 cameras I don't think I'll find anything else in the ballpark.

I just want to setup what I have I believe its just tuning the BI settings better is what I need to do.

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The SD camera stream needs to be posting jpegs when triggered into a folder that the AI tool monitors and then sends to deepstack for inspection. There are two ways to have blue iris post those jpegs when triggered. Are you sure this is being done? I use the "post" tab.

Also, under the Alert-trigger sources and zones of the HD camera, you can un-check all the motion zones. Leave everything un checked except for "external" since you only want to be alerted when AI tool sends the "external" trigger command to the HD camera. That will trigger the HD camera to start recording and to send you the push notification and or email alert.

If the AItool trigger command is being sent correctly, you should be having no issues receiving the notifications from Blue Iris.

By the way, I think you are using an old version of AItool. There's a newer 2.0 version that was "forked" from gentlepumpkins original version. It has improved capabilities.

birdie

n3wb
Reaction score
The SD camera stream needs to be posting jpegs when triggered into a folder that the AI tool monitors and then sends to deepstack for inspection. There are two ways to have blue iris post those jpegs when triggered. Are you sure this is being done? I use the "post" tab.

Also, under the Alert-trigger sources and zones of the HD camera, you can un-check all the motion zones. Leave everything un checked except for "external" since you only want to be alerted when AI tool sends the "external" trigger command to the HD camera. That will trigger the HD camera to start recording and to send you the push notification and or email alert.

If the AItool trigger command is being sent correctly, you should be having no issues receiving the notifications from Blue Iris.

By the way, I think you are using an old version of AItool. There's a newer 2.0 version that was "forked" from gentlepumpkins original version. It has improved capabilities.
Thanks for the reply :)

Yeah its putting JPEGs in the AIinput folder (on the Record tab), current settings are for every 5 seconds "Only when triggered". How is the Post tab different?

Yeah on the HD source under the Trigger tab, nothing is ticked in the Sources area, only option selected on that tab is "Capture an alert list image". Where is the "external" option?

I might have to find the new version and try it?

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you type the trigger URL from your aitool camera tab in a local browser do you get the blue iris alert and does it start the HD stream recording?

birdie

n3wb
Reaction score
If you type the trigger URL from your aitool camera tab in a local browser do you get the blue iris alert and does it start the HD stream recording?
Yeah if I go to the trigger URL I get:
signal=green
profile=1
lock=0
transport=0,0/1
camera=FrontLeftHD

and the camera records and sends me an alert.

I just tried walking outside and it didn't create a new JPEG in the aiinput folder. I think that might be the issue - that it is hit and miss creating the JPEGs.

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your issue is the motion sensor settings then. Slide the minimum object and minimum contrast all the way to the left. Let deepstack do its job in analyzing the images and filtering out the false alerts. Also, lower the make time to .2 or .3

You can also try to switch from edge vector to simple algorithm. I've read a couple posts here on this forum where people have had issues with edge vector not working properly. I'm using basic myself, it seems to be more sensitive, especially at night at certain angles.

birdie

n3wb
Reaction score
Your issue is the motion sensor settings then. Slide the minimum object and minimum contrast all the way to the left. Let deepstack do its job in analyzing the images and filtering out the false alerts. Also, lower the make time to .2 or .3

You can also try to switch from edge vector to simple algorithm. I've read a couple posts here on this forum where people have had issues with edge vector not working properly. I'm using basic myself, it seems to be more sensitive, especially at night at certain angles.
I've made those changes, seems to working better now too. Will have to see how it goes over a longer period.

Ripper99

n3wb
Reaction score
I've made those changes, seems to working better now too. Will have to see how it goes over a longer period.
I think you have "Object Detection" turned on when you should have it turned OFF as Deepstack is doing the object detection and NOT Blue Iris, basically you are making low resolution 24/7 recordings with the SD camera you setup as well as generating snapshots every X seconds that get placed into your "aiinput" folder, then Deepstack grabs those and it does the Object detection and NOT Blue Iris.

Turn this setting off and see if things get even better, this is how I run it and its very accurate for me. I read that tutorial from the Hookup and something was missing that didn't make it work right, then I read this and got things working danecreekphotography/node-deepstackai-trigger and you will see he also turns off the "Object Detection"

Attachments