BI Won't Launch

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been using BI for at least 10 years with 10-15 cameras. A couple days ago I was adding a camera and something seems to have gone wrong during the process and now I can't get BI to start. When I click the BI icon, the cursor spins for a second or two and then nothing, the software does not launch. I have searched this forum and others and can't seem to find the answer. Of course I have many camera settings, protected clips, etc, that I would like to retain. While I am pretty well versed in tech, I am a Mac guy so any help I can get using BI on windows may need to be dumbed down a bit.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using BI for at least 10 years with 10-15 cameras. A couple days ago I was adding a camera and something seems to have gone wrong during the process and now I can't get BI to start. When I click the BI icon, the cursor spins for a second or two and then nothing, the software does not launch. I have searched this forum and others and can't seem to find the answer. Of course I have many camera settings, protected clips, etc, that I would like to retain. While I am pretty well versed in tech, I am a Mac guy so any help I can get using BI on windows may need to be dumbed down a bit.
This is often caused by an issue with hardware acceleration. You need to go into the registry and either delete the camera itself or change the hardware acceleration to none.

To delete the entire camera rather than change HA options, edit the registry here (regedit command) Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Cameras
click on cameras then delete the offending cam. To change HA options for that one cam find IP_HWACCEL and change it to 2 is indicated in post 3 of the linked thread. If you make the change in "options" as in post 2 it will disable HA for all cams in the blue iris options settings.

Last edited: