BI5, Android app and openvpn

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I know I'm overlooking something obvious but I haven't seen it yet. I'm using openvpn. I just noticed that the BI mobile app works ok on my lan with BI5 & BI4 but if I try off the lan the mobile app won't connect with BI5. If I switch back to BI4 it connects ok. I haven't seen any obvious difference in the webserver settings of BI5 & BI4. Anyone else encountered any problem with this? I haven't seen comments from anyone else so maybe it's just me.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I upgraded from BI4 to BI5 my webserver port switch to 81. I ran BI4 on port 80. Maybe check your port? I also had to allow BI5 through my firewall.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. I know the port is the same on BI5 & BI4, but I will double check and the firewall may well be the problem, thanks for your reply.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where is the OpenVPN running ?
Are you successfully connecting to the OpenVPN before trying the BI app on the WAN?
Are the BI4 and BI5 running at the same time on seperate computers ?
Can you access BI5 on the wan with UI# ?

screen shots of the webserver configuration in BI.
Screen shot of the app screens.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
@lviperz it was the firewall. I first turned the firewall off and the BI app connected. Then I looked and saw BI4 & BI5 were both in the firewall rules so I tried to enable firewall but forgot I was doing it via remote desktop. Things got hung up and when I rebooted all the BI rules were gone and remote desktop was disabled in firewall. I allowed BI5 in firewall and now all is ok. Had to enable remote desktop too - lesson learned - don't screw with firewall from remote desktop.