BI5 Android Push Notification Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by merkaba, Jul 12, 2019.

Share This Page

1. merkaba

merkaba Young grasshopper

Hey, I am brand new to BI5 and so far so good...except these push notifications. I can't seem to get any consistency from them. When i do get them, they are extremely delayed, and I've never gotten the thumbnails working. Hopefully I'm missing something simple. I've tried the stuff below. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

• I have opened ports 2195, 443, and the port i use for the webserver
    • Made a firewall rule for all LAN traffic using webserver port to go to BI based on this post
    • Tried unchecking and checking both "Send Rich 3D notifications" and "10 image GIF
    • Matched up both my LAN and WAN webserver ports to use the same port
    This is what my notifications do look like when i happen to get them:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. merkaba

Does anyone have android push notifications working with thumbnails?

3. 753951

753951 n3wb

I have same issue with thumbnails. Did you send email to Blue Iris support?

4. merkaba

I sent them one this morning. Waiting for their reply.

5. merkaba

Still no reply...is their customer service usually decent?

6. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

A reply to take 5 to 7 days... Blue iris is a one-man shop with some part-time help.

7. merkaba

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info.

8. 753951

753951 n3wb

It looks like push notification links back to the event thumbnail via URL that looks like this:

http://<BI-server-IP-address>/thumbs/@<thumb-id>?session=<session-id>

<BI-server-IP-address> is always resolved IP address of your externally visible BI server (like 101.202.101.202). If BI server is behind firewall, that will be your externally visible IP address of your firewall (firewall then needs to know how to internally forward request to your BI server - via NAT or otherwise)
    <thumb-id> is some long decimal number, determined by BI
    <session-id> is some long hexadecimal number, determined by BI

If you are exposing service via HTTPS protocol instead, you need to check "Stunnel is installed for HTTPS on port" option, and http in above example is going to be replaced with https. Even if you are not using Stunnel, but some other means of protecting server via SSL, like reverse proxy (nginx), you have to check that option. Bottom line is, something that looks like

has to resolve back to your BI server, so it can return the thumbnail to the caller.

In my case I'm using nginx as reverse proxy. Requests that come from the outside are analyzed by nginx and it determines where (to which of my multiple servers) it needs to proxy that request. Each of my servers has unique registered name, but they all point to the same externally visible address of my firewall. For example

bi.mydomain.org 101.202.101.202
    automation.mydomain.org 101.202.101.202
    www.mydomain.org 101.202.101.202
    syslog.mydomain.org 101.202.101.202
    etc.

When request to bi.mydomain.org comes in, nginx knows that it need to proxy that to my server with internal IP address of 10.1.1.10.

So, what happens when request comes in as https://101.202.101.202:443/thumbs/@391132345?session=2c6b3959680f76012cd21e8550c13db7? Well, nginx does not know what server is request for, and responds with one of the standard HTTP codes like 404 Not Found, or 401 Not Authorized, etc. (depending on configuration). That's when you get big white block instead of the thumbnail.

I had to adjust my nginx configuration to analyze URL location (/thumbs/@391132345) and URL arguments (session=2c6b3959680f76012cd21e8550c13db7). When they conform to the above patterns, it knows that's request for BI thumbnail and proxies request to the Bi server. Now I get thumbnail with every push notification.

This is location block in my nginx default.conf that worked for me (server name and IP address are made up):

# Blue Iris push notification thumbnails
    location ~ ^/thumbs/@[0-9]* {
    proxy_set_header Host bi.mydomain.org;
    proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
    add_header Front-End-Https on;
    proxy_read_timeout 90;

if ($args ~ "^session=[0-9a-fA-F]*$") {
    proxy_pass http://10.1.1.10;
    break;​
    }​
    }

I'm sure nginx experts can improve on it.