bidens incredible transition to electric cars

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
There's nothing like a tree hugger that likes to drive a Prius but cuts people off on the highways :(

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This car owner has mastered the burnout......impressive.....it is kind alarming that he decided to call Jaguar first, while his car was burning. Afterwards, he decided maybe he should call 911. Priorities.....

Lg makes the batteries, nuff said.

After mine and some of my family's experiences with Lg's appliances and cell phones, I won't touch anything of theirs now.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
To all the lovers in the world…
Please don’t make love and get it on in a electric car…
You will bottom out the car and the batteries will potentially explode and spray lithium all over your face…see men have something in common. ;)
Trust the science…even your partner will not be happy when the EV does something extraordinary :rofl:

Edit….did you see what he did there? :lmao:

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I drove from from eastern Nebraska to Salt Lake City last week. I saw three Tesla vehicles on the way out and one on the way back parked alongside the road in very rural stretches of road. Guess they forgot their portable generator. Or, maybe they just broke down.

www.jumpme.com is for sale for $4888.00. That URL and a good sized 220 volt generator in a pickup might be a good business startup.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just a little math since that's what I geek out on...

That Tesla P85D has an 85 kWh battery. He was getting about 1.6% battery charge per mile towed. In 5 miles, that would be 8% battery charge, or 6.8 kWh. At 3 miles per kWh, that's 20 miles of range. That 1 gallon of petrol gets the AMG E55 5 miles down the road, but 20 miles added to the Tesla for 25 miles total.

The crazy thing is that car is rated for 20 MPG by itself on the highway, but with it dragging a Tesla behind it, it's actually getting a combined 25 MPG. This is a real world example of how ICE becomes more efficient when it's worked at the upper end of the power range. Without the Tesla, that AMG is hardly working to cruise on the freeway, meaning the engine isn't running efficiently. This is why hybrids turn off the engine when power demand is low, because they aren't efficient at low loads.

Finally, based on that video it looked like was getting full regen as slow as 45 MPH. Going 70 MPH didn't seem to improve the regen rate.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Still seems like the long way around the horn to charge an EV with ICE. Actually that's how EVs are normally charged anyway. No matter how you analyze the mileage it still costs $40 bucks to do it that way and still not achieve a full charge.

Then there's the problem of flat towing without an appropriate tow bar in this case, too. I can tell you from personal experience that when things go sideways it ain't good for either vehicle or either driver.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The neat thing about EVs is they can be refueled while being towed. I do pretty risky things, but I don't think even I would tow at 70 MPH...
That's great if you can either hookup with someone that is not only willing to tow you but just happens to be going 25 miles in a direction that is also agreeable to you, otherwise you'd have to drive back...unless he's towing you in a circle.

Also, many states have laws restricting tow speeds to between 55 and 65 MPH anyway so 70 MPH may not be doable anyway. :idk:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Still seems like the long way around the horn to charge an EV with ICE. Actually that's how EVs are normally charged anyway. No matter how you analyze the mileage it still costs $40 bucks to do it that way and still not achieve a full charge.

Then there's the problem of flat towing without an appropriate tow bar in this case, too. I can tell you from personal experience that when things go sideways it ain't good for either vehicle or either driver.
As my analysis shows, the AMG still got 5 MPG combined better fuel economy dragging that Tesla. You can't get a tow for $40 either, if you're paying out of pocket.

No doubt running out of gas is an easier problem than running out of battery. It wasn't long ago the Mazda died coming back from the coast because the fuel pickup sometimes doesn't get the last 2 gallons of fuel in the 15 gallon tank (I haven't figured out what causes it to randomly do that). I hopped on my electric unicycle and rode the 2 miles to the tiny 1 pump gas station, got a gallon, and rode 2 miles back. Was up and running in 20 minutes.

If that had happened in an EV, well, I'd probably be calling a friend for a tow / charge. By the time they had gotten back to I-5, I'd have enough charge to get home. That assumes they have a car powerful enough to charge an EV at highway speeds. That AMG in the video is 450 horsepower, so it can spare the 100 horsepower it takes to drag the Tesla (normal horsepower to maintain speed on a highway is 15-20). You'd have to floor a Prius and it might maintain speed on a flat section of road.

I don't really care about the CO2 emission issue, because the best I could do to reduce it would be to drop dead, and even then you couldn't measure in the environment how much dropping dead reduced the CO2 concentration. Mostly I just like efficient things because they cost less, or give you more bang for the buck. EVs might cost 2-3 cents per mile in electricity, but a 30 MPG car will cost 10 cents (historic average). With gas prices how they are now, it's more like 15 cents per mile. I'd rather save money and use US energy than spend more and use foreign oil.

All that said, I don't have an EV yet because I don't need more cars. I've got a company issued Mazda CX-5 (unlimited personal use including gas), a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, an Acura TSX, a Chevy S-10 ZR2, and a couple Honda CBR600s. Only got the 1 wife, so that's too many vehicles.

Last edited: