BIT and Norton Security

NCBBA11043

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running the current version of BIT and Norton Security 22.17.0.183
Norton has detected an unusually high amount of OUTBOUND traffic on my system. Ran the scan (Power Eraser) as recommended . . . it is Blue Iris Tools.
Why would there be outbound traffic? And heavy traffic at that? Should just be (mostly) inbound getting info from Wunderground for overlays.
Anyone else seeing this? Should there be concern? With all the privacy issues on-line lately, just want to make sure it's OK. Norton is sometimes overly aggressive, but this is just monitoring traffic.
Thanks!

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I am running the current version of BIT and Norton Security 22.17.0.183
Norton has detected an unusually high amount of OUTBOUND traffic on my system. Ran the scan (Power Eraser) as recommended . . . it is Blue Iris Tools.
Why would there be outbound traffic? And heavy traffic at that? Should just be (mostly) inbound getting info from Wunderground for overlays.
Anyone else seeing this? Should there be concern? With all the privacy issues on-line lately, just want to make sure it's OK. Norton is sometimes overly aggressive, but this is just monitoring traffic.
Thanks!
HI @NCBBA11043, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The outbound traffic in BIT is everytime the weather is gathered from WUnderground, every 24 hours when BIT checks the BIT server for updates (if you have this option enabled), occasionally BIT will check for "Push Notifications" which is basically reserved for me to push alerts to users for important updates or if there is ever a security update (also from the BIT server) and also there could be outbound traffic if you are monitoring a BI install externally using Watchdog or connecting using BIT Cloud to another network.

The outbound traffic is 100% safe :) Norton is just being Norton, typical alarmists that they are! I will submit the software to them for review though so thanks for bringing this to my attention.

NCBBA11043

n3wb
Reaction score
HI @NCBBA11043, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The outbound traffic in BIT is everytime the weather is gathered from WUnderground, every 24 hours when BIT checks the BIT server for updates (if you have this option enabled), occasionally BIT will check for "Push Notifications" which is basically reserved for me to push alerts to users for important updates or if there is ever a security update (also from the BIT server) and also there could be outbound traffic if you are monitoring a BI install externally using Watchdog or connecting using BIT Cloud to another network.

The outbound traffic is 100% safe :) Norton is just being Norton, typical alarmists that they are! I will submit the software to them for review though so thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Thanks. I kinda figured that was the case. Appreciate the info!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is why I have not run or recommended anything Norton in 20 years.
Symantec has been great since the overhaul in 2009. Its scores perfect in most tests. The Norton flag was a good one and accurate. A small unknown program sending data, that is exactly the type of alert you want. They have no idea that it's legit. I would want to be alerted if any software was doing this.