BIT not automagically starting on Windows 10 boot

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, after running Blue Iris 4 and BIT for many many months something on my system has changed. I don't know if it is coincidence that the problem happened when I upgraded to Blue Iris 5 recently or if there was a Window 10 update that screwed things up. BIT is not starting up when Windows 10 boots up. I'm getting a UAC pop-up "Disable Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" that I never got before and I haven't changed anything regarding UAC. Since my BI server runs remotely I don't see the UAC pop-up and I guess it times out and as a result BIT is not running in the background. I've also seen the UAC pop-up when connected to the BI server via RDP and try to bring up the BI GUI. I never had to answer the UAC pop-up question before. Lastly, if try to restart the BI server computer I get a pop-up that BI is preventing me from restarting. I don't recall that pop-up before. Anyone have an idea on what I can change on my system to get it to behave like it used to without changing the UAC settings to the lowest setting?

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I pretty much have UAC disabled (set to lowest setting), as my BI server is not on the Internet, is dedicated to BI and doesn't even have antivirus.
When I reboot or startup, BIT launches which in turn launches BI (BIT's watchdog enabled).

There is no popup that BI is preventing a restart either. FWIW, BI is not running as a service

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I wanted to avoid setting UAC to the lowest setting....dang, everything used to work fine then all of a sudden I'm having these issues. I wonder what caused by setup to change.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. My BIT won't start automatically either. I have gone through all the settings in taskschd that I used to get BI to start automatically but BIT won't start without the stupid UAC coming on. I'm sure I'm missing something someplace but I don't know what it is.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
BITs on my system is set to Manual start, normally things like Windows Update would start the service as and when needed?

Edit: Ignore my ramblings above, thought you were talking about the BITs Windows service, DOH!

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Kind of dumb we have to lower the UAC settings to "trust everything including the kitchen sink" to get BlueIrisTools to run at boot time.

Skeptical

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a similar issue, I could not get BI 5 to boot up win windows restarted. Checking the "run as Windows service (no UI, run again for console) under the main setting -> startup tab. This has worked for me for a few months now. Of course it does not launch the GUI. So if that's what you need good luck :)

Attachments

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a similar issue, I could not get BI 5 to boot up win windows restarted. Checking the "run as Windows service (no UI, run again for console) under the main setting -> startup tab. This has worked for me for a few months now. Of course it does not launch the GUI. So if that's what you need good luck :)
Thanks but we were talking about Blue Iris Tools not Blue Iris.

AngryToast

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is what I did: Open up scheduler and create a task that runs at bootup with elevated privs: \

See attached 2.png3.pngAnnotation 2020-01-22 202012.png

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did what @AngryToast did which is to open up the scheduler and create a task that runs at bootup with elevated privileges as this is exactly the same way I already had Blue Iris set up.
I thought you'd lose the GUI this way. I remember trying this but don't remember why I didn't like this way.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
BI Tools will be running as a process but the GUI has been iconified (mimimized to the tray on Startup) in the lower right corner. In Windows10 just click on the "up arrow" then click on the BI Tools icon. You can see the two BIT settings to play with below.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't you have to uncheck "Start when Windows Boots" if you start the BIT from task scheduler?