Bit rate on BI far less than camera settings?

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my cameras set at a pretty high bit rate (from 6656-10240 kb/s) but as seen below, the actual bit rate seen by BI is far less (~940-1300 kb/s). Anybody have any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did some additional searching and think I answered my own question. BI is showing kiloBYTES/s while the cameras are showing kilobits/s. Very confusing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did some additional searching and think I answered my own question. BI is showing kiloBYTES/s while the cameras are showing kilobits/s. Very confusing.
side note your bitrate is way too high and wasting disk space...lower the fps to 15 fps (its wasting cpu cycles as well) and drop the bitrate to 4096.

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
side note your bitrate is way too high and wasting disk space...lower the fps to 15 fps (its wasting cpu cycles as well) and drop the bitrate to 4096.
Thanks, fenderman. Really appreciate your help and guidance (I have read a ton of your prior posts). I'm a newb as my profile makes clear.

One question about your guidance -- I had jacked up the bitrate and fps because I was getting blurry images on any motion (including people walking), and thought this might help (it did seem to help, but I could be wrong). Will decreasing the bit rate / fps decrease the quality appreciably, or am I messing with the wrong settings? I'm thinking that my blurry motion issues are probably more related to exposure, but nothing I've tried on that front has helped very much.

FYI, the camera at 50 fps is set up to do LPR and someone had recommended those settings (and they work pretty well for that purpose).

Thanks again!

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
My UniFi G3 camera (2.1 MP) was set for "High" RTSP stream (1920x1080). 20 FPS, and a Bitrate of 3000 kbps. Within BI, the bitrate was running around 300 kB/s. I boosted the Bitrate on the camera to 6000 kbps, because it likewise was showing blurs when at night people or cars move through the view. Now BI is showing the bitrate to be about 416 kB/s. It's still too early to tell if this will alleviate the blurring, but wanted to post these settings and the similar problem with blurring at night.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
bitrate and higher fps will not affect night time and low light blurring...its all about exposure and sensor quality...

Reactions: RJF

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my cameras set at a pretty high bit rate (from 6656-10240 kb/s) but as seen below, the actual bit rate seen by BI is far less (~940-1300 kb/s). Anybody have any ideas? Many thanks in advance.
Those bitrates you list in BI are in the range you list. They are just in Kilo Bytes per second instead of Kilobits per second. So the 1254 kB/s bitrate is 10032 kb/s (10.032 Mb/s). The 1271 kB/s is 10168 kb/s (10.168 Mb/s). And the 942 kB/s bitrate is 7536 kb/s (7.536 Mb/s).