Bizarre - two cameras zoom to max at same time!

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very odd behaviour for two of my four Dahua cameras connected to my Blue Iris server (connected using VPN, there is no internet access to these cameras) (they are: three starlights - IPC-HDW5231R-ZE turret cameras, and one 8MP IPC-HFW5831E-ZE bullet camera).

Two of the four zoomed to maximum zoom at the same time! (~ 16:07 EDT today)
One was a starlight, and one was the 8MP model.
(Of the other two starlights: one was already set for max zoom and the other was unaffected.)

Any ideas what could cause this?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One thing to check is to disable PTZ controls of each camera. Blueiris admin console, click on a camera, right click, camera properties, PTZ/Control tab. On varifocal cams, when you have a cam selected, clicking in the live image zooms the cam if PTZ is enabled.
upload_2019-5-7_19-14-23.png

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One thing to check is to disable PTZ controls of each camera. Blueiris admin console, click on a camera, right click, camera properties, PTZ/Control tab. On varifocal cams, when you have a cam selected, clicking in the live image zooms the cam if PTZ is enabled.
View attachment 42223
Didn't know you could do that ... will try it out, thanks ... although that doesn't explain this happening randomly today (was not viewing anything at the time).

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Aee you POE switch cameras on a UPS? Could it have been a power fluctuation ?
I suppose that could be it, and may be most likely explanation?
Although the affected cameras are on two different switches (neither with UPS).
Which reminds me...where is a good source for a UPS for a 48 port Cisco POE switch? I'm figuring a good used UPS will work nicely ...if I can find one!

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Used UPS = used batteries = not a good idea IMHO.

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was thinking of a place like one I used to know that did this but they put in new batteries and sold them that way.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That would be ok then.. if you can find the place, and trust they put in new batteries.. ask for a warranty.