Blink

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is an ambitious project. One year battery life, "HD" camera (which could mean anything), and < $100 each? I don't think I believe this one.

Also, from their FAQ:

What if my power or WiFi goes out?

Blink will alert you if power is lost, or if no WiFi connection is detected for an extended period of time.

What if I don’t have WiFi?

Blink currently requires a WiFi-based Internet connection to operate. For future products, we are researching the possibility of offering a cellular service, as well.
So, how exactly do you suppose they intend to alert you if communications are down?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you read the fine print the battery only lasts for 20,000 seconds of recording or 333 minuets. So unless you keep turning off each time you are home, you will spend a fortune on batteries and the hassle of changing them once a week if not more often.

dalepa

Reaction score
If you read the fine print the battery only lasts for 20,000 seconds of recording or 333 minuets. So unless you keep turning off each time you are home, you will spend a fortune on batteries and the hassle of changing them once a week if not more often.
Yea, I just calculated that I had over 2700 events and over 50,000 seconds of record time from my living room in the last week. Good thing this comes with a power cord.

But I bet they make their $200K goal, delivery a cam that records 20K seconds, and receive 2 billion from google when they sell and put it into every NEST Thermostat and Nest Smoke detector.

The Nest smoke detector could also be a awesome place to put Wifi access points, and Terabytes of cached media content...

Just talked myself into buying google stock :)