Blocky/choppy video

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any ideas what is causing this?

It seems to do it on my i5 laptop with 4gb ram windows 7... Freshly formatted with nothing on it too. It doesn't seem to do it on my beast i5 overclocked machine

I would say maybe the laptop can't handle the video, but it's really not THAT demanding. I have 3 1080p cameras running, 1 720 and 1 480

Seems to do it with all of them.

Direct write to disc btw

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The happens with direct to disc so you need to tweak settings to make it go away...camera properties> video >configure change the receive buffer to 10mb.
Make sure your iframes match your frames per second. If that does not work try messing with cbr vs vbr... or increase your bitrate and see if there is any change..

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
didn't work... what is cbr vs vbr?

the bitrates are already pretty darn high. 6000+

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
post a screen shot of your video settings...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
match your set your i-frames to 15...if that doesnt improve things try constant bit rate instead of the variable.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i actually had it at 15. I just changed it to 15 because you said to lower it... I also had it at constant too

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you tried lowering BitRate? If not, try 4096 to see if it helps.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it happens on one computer and not the other, why are we focusing on nvr/camera settings?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could you delete your webrec file in programs and let the nvr reinstall new active x onto that computer? Could you watch cpu usage in task manager while the cameras are displaying?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This was kens response with respect to a cam-it user who emailed him about the issue.
"Easy fix ... this results from setting the FPS too low. With D2D, you need to set the FPS >= what is actually being received ... you cannot "drop" any frames otherwise there will be incomplete frames in the recording but not live. Ken"
I believe he is saying to adjust the frame rate in blue iris to higher than the incoming frame rate...the auto function may be screwing things up.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm bringing an old topic back up, but with a new computer, sitll having some issues. now I need to figure it out. so we're back in action. See the new thread...

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This was kens response with respect to a cam-it user who emailed him about the issue.
"Easy fix ... this results from setting the FPS too low. With D2D, you need to set the FPS >= what is actually being received ... you cannot "drop" any frames otherwise there will be incomplete frames in the recording but not live. Ken"
I believe he is saying to adjust the frame rate in blue iris to higher than the incoming frame rate...the auto function may be screwing things up.
Ok, let's see if this worked. I have the camera at 15, and I'll do 20 for BI. it was 15 before (so same)

edit: nope didn't help. What did help was going from D2D to re encode, but that's not something I really need as I have time stamps already, and it just uses up extra CPU

Last edited by a moderator: