Blue Iris 3.0 Clips and archiving question

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a 4TB drive installed that I use to just save my clips to. I'm not too sure how to get the settings right to utilize the whole disk and I've never been able to get it right. I have attached a screen capture of my settings. I just increased the Limit clip age to 90 days from 30 days. I have never seen any clips get moved to the Stored folder and the New folder is only 186Gb in size. I have tried messing with the settings, but if I remember correctly, whenever I did, the available storage that is shown at the bottom of the screen (see other attachment) would turn red as if there was an issue. Can anyone suggest proper settings that will allow me to use most of the disk?

Thanks,
ChrisView attachment 65866

Attachments

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for responding. There is nothing else on the drive and the stored folder is on the same drive. The drive is solely for Blue Iris clips.

Chris

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So is it a locally installed drive, if it then there really is not point moving stuff around locally as it just wastes time and resources.

Get rid of stored, set it to zero and increase the size of New to 10% less than the total space available on the drive, disable the age related option and just set it so the BI deletes older clips as and when it needs to.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a very old version of BI. I would strongly recommend up grading.
If this version has a BI status clip storage screen please provide a screen shot.

You allocated 488 gb to new. It should be a value around 3300 GB for a 4TB drive.

====================================
My Standard allocation post. This applies to BI 4 and BI5, Not surer about bi 3

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Last edited:

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I already have plans to upgrade to 5.0, see here - Updating to BI 5.0
I pretty much have my setting set the way you have suggested. I will have to check #4 though. I will try to increase the allocation to 3300 Gb and see what happens.
I'll look for a BI status clip storage screen as well and post if it has one.

Thanks again,
Chris

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I quickly made the suggested adjustments and I'm receiving the red error I spoke about in my original post. I changed the setting to 3300gb and then 3000gb and then 2000gb and still got the error. Each time the number in red gets smaller. Any suggestions? Anyone ever see this?
@IAmATeaf - Yes this is a local drive.

Please see the attachments.

Attachments

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What else is on the E drive?
Nothing. Just three folders. Two of which are empty and my clips. Alerts and Storage folders are empty. New folder is holding all of my clips. See attachments. As you can see, there is are 3.45TB free on my E: drive.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I quickly made the suggested adjustments and I'm receiving the red error I spoke about in my original post. I changed the setting to 3300gb and then 3000gb and then 2000gb and still got the error. Each time the number in red gets smaller. Any suggestions? Anyone ever see this?
@IAmATeaf - Yes this is a local drive.

Please see the attachments.
Restart the computer and BI after making those changes.
If that doesn't fix it, do a database repair.

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I finally got around to doing this and I still get the red. One more thing now. Since I repaired the database, I can no longer remotely view any clips earlier than the time in which I rebuilt the database. I can view them if I remote into the PC and view them from Blue Iris, but not remotely. I can view clips that were created after the repair remotely. Any ideas?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would recommend, hit it with a hammer
1) delete all your clips
2) delete the database
3) reboot the pc. and bi

There should be no red.

provide screen shot of the clips
the new and stored setup.

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I tried what you suggested, but it is still red. I deleted all of my clips. I deleted all files in the DB folder. Still shows red. I restarted the computer and BI, still red. See screen captures. There is one clip now as I performed a manual trigger just to see if the clip saved. Also now having an issue where clips from 2 different cameras start about 10-15 seconds into the clip causing me to miss the trigger. I can see the trigger alert, but when I play the clip, the progress bar moves right to about 15 seconds in and I do not see what caused the trigger. This all started after I did a manual repair of the DB.

Attachments

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a look at all the other settings within Clips to make sure nothing else is allocated.

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, so I had a stored folder that I thought I set to zero like you guys told me to do a million times, but I guess I never did. One more thing. Should I uncheck the Limit clip age for my Alerts folder as well or is fine set for 14 days?

Attachments

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I set all mine to be managed by space so stuff only gets deleted when the space is required. Didn’t see the point of setting an age limit as well.

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is a good value to set the Limit Size for Alerts?