Blue Iris 4 Crashing after slewing cameras

mbcam6

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a user that has been experiencing crashes with Blue Iris 4 over the last couple of days. What happens is this person opens Blue Iris, double-clicks on the feed from one IP camera to view it full-screen, slews it as desired to check out everything in the camera's coverage area, then exits from full screen. When this person views another camera, they are unable to slew or zoom with the camera (Blue Iris crashes within moments). This person has 7 different cameras they can view (which can all be viewed by a few other users on different computers). The cameras are all Amcrest HDSeries IPM-721 series, hard-wired with gigabit switches. The specs on the crashing computer are as follows:
  • HP Pavilion dc7900 Ultra-Small Form Factor PC
  • Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor (3.0 GHz)
  • 3 GB RAM
  • Intel Q45/Q43 integrated graphics
  • 160 GB Hard Drive (91 GB free) - recording is not enabled
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Blue Iris (latest version), with no effect. Looking at similar threads, I have installed the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2013, also with no effect. Nothing else has been installed or uninstalled. The crashing occurrs even if no other programs are open. CPU is at 100% anytime Blue Iris is open (max RAM usage is 800 MB). Looking at the Blue Iris help, I've looked at the event logs and found only two instances of application error events, even though there have been at least 10 crashes (see example below taken at 10:32 this morning):

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 4.5.3.2, time stamp: 0x58ec00cf
Faulting module name: BlueIris.exe, version: 4.5.3.2, time stamp: 0x58ec00cf
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000900f0
Faulting process id: 0xec0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2b2d06378450a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe
Report Id: aa7dd218-1ec3-11e7-a923-002481f4d5a1

I've put in a support request to the email address listed in the Blue Iris help, but was wondering if anyone here could offer any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The CPU is way too slow, plain and simple. I know you aren't recording anything but set the cameras to use direct to disk anyway -- I am pretty sure it helps. Reduce frame rates or remove cameras as necessary to get CPU usage well below 100%. If you reduce frame rates, you need to do it in the camera's web interface. If you change it in Blue Iris, nothing will actually change and the value will go right back up.

You won't be happy with the kind of frame rates you'll need to get this to perform well, so the long-term solution is to buy a faster PC. You'll also find advice on what kind of PC to buy if you look around at other threads here.

mbcam6

n3wb
Reaction score
The CPU is way too slow, plain and simple. I know you aren't recording anything but set the cameras to use direct to disk anyway -- I am pretty sure it helps. Reduce frame rates or remove cameras as necessary to get CPU usage well below 100%. If you reduce frame rates, you need to do it in the camera's web interface. If you change it in Blue Iris, nothing will actually change and the value will go right back up.

You won't be happy with the kind of frame rates you'll need to get this to perform well, so the long-term solution is to buy a faster PC. You'll also find advice on what kind of PC to buy if you look around at other threads here.
Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention on my reinstall I had backed the frame rates down in Blue Iris to 10 fps max, thinking that might be the case (some cameras defaulted to over 30). I was going to try with fewer cameras to in order to see if that helped any when I got the email notification of your reply. I will mention your suggestion on the frame rate reduction on the cameras themselves to my superiors, since I have a feeling complaints will result if I reduce the frame rate for everyone (part of the reason Blue Iris was purchased in the first place).

Thanks again.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, the frame rate option in Blue Iris does nothing (with H.264 cameras) and you need to reduce the rate in each camera's web interface. Blue Iris cannot control the frame rate a camera sends.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
since I have a feeling complaints will result if I reduce the frame rate for everyone (part of the reason Blue Iris was purchased in the first place).

Thanks again.
If they complain, tell them to shell out 150-300 dollars for a pc that is NOT 10 years old and weak..