Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can get the $30 annual support plan and then cancel it to save $5, but as I understand it the shop does not have an intuitive cancellation process so that could be frustrating.

Make a registry backup before you start the upgrade, whether you plan to set up from scratch or not. Better safe than sorry.

Enough people have come to complain about their CPU usage going way up after upgrading to BI5, and we really don't know what to tell them because a ton of stuff changes all at once when you do the upgrade. it is much easier to know what the problem is if you are changing one thing at a time in a fresh setup.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In other words, the extra $5 is insurance against future aggravation. I think I can deal with that.

The current system is an Intel i7 with 8 gb of Ram. I'm only dealing with 8 cams, possibly up to 10 in the future, so I THINK I don't need a serious system upgrade.

Am I on the right track here?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
BI5 can be a LOT more efficient than BI4 if you use sub streams, so yeah, there is very little reason to upgrade the PC it sounds like.

Reaction score
I bought the annual service plan to get version 5 eligibility, which was confirmed when I applied the key to my V4 installation. My problem is now that I have installed Version 5 following the guides, and it's asking me for my V4 key. I have entered this and now it is asking me if I want to apply an upgrade key for version 5. When I try to apply the upgrade key it states that the key is already linked to a license and reverts to demo mode. Can anyone help me understand what is going on here?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought the annual service plan to get version 5 eligibility, which was confirmed when I applied the key to my V4 installation. My problem is now that I have installed Version 5 following the guides, and it's asking me for my V4 key. I have entered this and now it is asking me if I want to apply an upgrade key for version 5. When I try to apply the upgrade key it states that the key is already linked to a license and reverts to demo mode. Can anyone help me understand what is going on here?
It's asking for your original v4 key you received, not an upgrade key or support key.

Reaction score
It's asking for your original v4 key you received, not an upgrade key or support key.
Sorry, I meant I was applying the v4 key, but it was not recognised. I did a bit of hunting around and I found another v4 key I had and it worked That must have been the one that I had entered before the support key. All sorted now. Thanks.