Blue Iris 5.3.1.6 crash Win10x64 EventID:1000, Application Error 0xc0000374

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Specs:

Intel NUC 10th Gen i7-10710U
Windows 10x64 OEM (fresh copy install from USB) - purchased licensed key from Microcenter
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB - M.2 NVMe
Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
All cameras set to decode HW by Intel.
Half the cameras are H265, other half is H264.

CPU usage according to BI is: 6-8%
Memory usage according to BI: 4GB
16-channel cameras (all in substream mode)

No recording, no events. I strictly use it just for live view. I have a Dahua NVR5416 as my main recorder.

I am simply pulling RTSP streams with BI for live viewing. So this morning at 7AM, the app crashed. I actually rewinded my camera to see how it crashed in my living room. Basically, it was running fine, then without a word, the BI live full full-screen just terminated and jumped back into Windows desktop.

BI's log says unexpected exit. That's about it.

A quick search reveals it is a possible memory leak issue. Another suggests to not use H265 encoding with the cameras. I will monitor the memory usage throughout the day.

Here are the Windows 10 event logs:
bi5-crash.PNG

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I also get these random crashes, have been getting them for quite some time now. If you search you’ll see other similar posts. For me the service always restarts OK so apart from the clip lost as a result of the crash it then seems to carry on working after.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I also get these random crashes, have been getting them for quite some time now. If you search you’ll see other similar posts. For me the service always restarts OK so apart from the clip lost as a result of the crash it then seems to carry on working after.
Was there ever a stable version that you guys remember?

I just started the BI5 band wagon so 5.3.1.6 is the first version I'm using.

I'm wondering if an earlier version like 5.2.x.x will be better.

Blackhawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The latest stable release is 5.3.0.3. You might want to try that. The update dialog shows both stable and newest releases.

I'm running H265 on an Intel NUC i7-6770 with no problems on 5.3.0.3

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The latest stable release is 5.3.0.3. You might want to try that. The update dialog shows both stable and newest releases.

I'm running H265 on an Intel NUC i7-6770 with no problems on 5.3.0.3
Sweet, I'll downgrade to that version first then right now.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay just downgraded to 5.3.0.3 and something got royally F'd up when I did so. CPU is now at 100%, memory shot up to 8%. I didn't change a single damn setting anywhere. All cameras the same. So WTF happened........

edit: figured it out. Status shows that BI is no longer pulling the substreams. It is pulling all the camera in main stream. Well that's a big mistake. And Why did it do that? I didn't touch the settings.
But substream is broken. It doesn't work. I tried to go to settings and copy the subtream URL again.

BI 5.3.0.3 is bugged. It won't initiate substreams. Going right back to 5.3.1.6 fixes the substream problem.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I first started seeing the random service crashes back at version 5.0.8.0. I logged a call and Ken the developer made a few changes to put more info in the logs but since then to now, I’m running the latest release I get these random crashes, probably 2-3 times a week.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you have a crash, collect the data and send it to the developer. It will help him resolve the problem.

I have a simple system, no large cameras (only 2mp and 4 mp) I run 5.2.9.0 from June 29,2020. I have had no crashes. I do not use substreams.

If you reinstall an old version of BI, delete the info in the register before the install, do a clean install.

You lead you bleed. :)

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Entering 36+ hours now with 5.3.1.6 and no ntdll.dll crash yet...