Blue Iris 5 setup

Reaction score
So here is the thing. I have been running Blue Iris for some time (BI3) and have not ran into this issue before. Before I get to the issue let me describe my setup

two Intel Xeon E5-2450
64GB of ram
12TB storage in a Raid 1+0 (Raid 10)
14 Ubiquiti UVC-G3 (bullet, dome and Pro) Cameras at 10-12 fps max, Direct to disk recording etc etc
2 Dlink Dome IP Cameras
System peaks at about 10% cpu (when useing the software etc)

Now here is the issue, I originally had all these cameras pointed to another server within my network. The system however was approaching 50 Cameras and I was spiking CPU at around 80%. So i built another system very similar from an old server i had lying around. Now time to get to my issue. The camera playback on this system is absolutely horrible when reviewing recorded footage, live video is great and shows no issues. When checking the recorded footage the video playback either skips around (missing recording) or when i select the footage it wont play at all; I have found though that, on the footage that doesn't play, I can actually rewind the footage press play and it will play right up to the a certain point and then it would stop.

The thing i find crazy about this is the fact that all these cameras were recording just fine on the other system. Has anybody seen this before or have any tips on how to improve the setup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What exact version of Blue iris 5 are you running now?
Disable smart/+ codecs on the camera.

Reaction score
Blue Iris 5.0.7.1 x64 - I have had this issue on all blue iris version/updates installed on this server.

I'm not using hardware accelerated decode - set to no in the main settings

each ubiquiti camera UVC Camera is set under there independent video settings as

Generic/ONVIF
RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4
PATH /S2 (This is where i set the fps with default bitrate etc)

I've never seen a difference in blue iris when i changed the above to the "Ubiquiti" Manufacture and chose UVC G3 RTSP

I'm set to save recordings as Blue IRis DVR (BVR) with Direct-to-disk

In regards to the smart codecs I don't think I am using any.

I copied each camera setting from the previous server to the new one and i never had this problem before. Maybe i'm missing something but it just seems odd to me. Lucky i haven't been in dire need of the video recordings but would like to hopefully work the kinks out so it becomes useable

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In regards to the smart codecs I don't think I am using any.
As @fenderman suggested, insure you're not using any, for ALL cameras.

Are all video clips kept on a drive that also hold the BI program and BI data base? The thought is that the newer server has a disk access issue.
As you might know, best performance is achieved when the O/S, the BI program and the BI db folder is on a SSD and all BI video clip are stored on a HDD, hopefully surveillance-rated like a WD Purple.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Upon confirming all cameras are set up as described above. In regards to the storage the OS and the blue iris program is installed on a 500 gb SSD, all blue iris settings (including DB) point to to drive D: (which is my Raid 10 setup) for storage etc.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Upon confirming all cameras are set up as described above. In regards to the storage the OS and the blue iris program is installed on a 500 gb SSD, all blue iris settings (including DB) point to to drive D: (which is my Raid 10 setup) for storage etc.
Interesting.

Not sure why you feel the need for any RAID configuration for video clip storage but certainly that's your choice. I'd be prone to split cam video clips instead to 2 or more NON-RAID drives but that's me. The reason? I've experienced far more failures with several RAID types over the years than with non-RAID and the heartburn and inconvenience those failures caused negated any value they may have been able to provide me ...but again, I understand that's only MY opinion. YMMV.

I would, however, change the path of BI's db folder to the SSD....if it was my setup.

Reaction score
In the time ive been researching this I honestly never noticed I hadn't had the files on the same drive etc. I have made the change so we will have to see what happens. I took a look at the disk usage in Windows performance and it appears the disks seem to be peaking at 14% under a write load and up to 20% when requesting playback. The drives are Western Digital Purple Drives as well.

I set them up in a raid to have a single disk vs multiple to mange. I haven't had many issues with the Raid 10 Setup but will admit when the first server was setup it originaly had a raid 5 which was horrible for the server performance.

nick