Blue Iris 80004005 issue

matadoor

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, licensed user and having an issue I could use some help with. I have a BI install, where the main C drive is a SSD. It's only 120 gig, so I added a larger drive to the system and am trying to use this drive as the storage drive. I have set all of the recording settings to use the new drive as the target drive, and all of the files appear to be there now. Issue is, when I go to "view" the file either via the main screen, or via the web browser, I get the 80004005 error. If I re-compile the DB, the old files will then be able to be viewed, but any new files past that will get the same error.

I deleted the DB on the drive, and then restarted BI and it regenerated the DB files, but still, all new clips come up with the 80004005 error until I manually recompile the DB.

So, what am I missing please?

M

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What Blue Iris version are you using? Latest?

Can you post screenshots of the Blue Iris Options > Clips and archiving tab, showing the top half as well as the New, Stored, and Alerts settings in the bottom half?

matadoor

n3wb
Reaction score
BI-1.jpgLiterally updated again today. All of the New, Stored, and Alerts all go to F: now.

matadoor

n3wb
Reaction score
BTW, proved it again, once a new file is generated, the icon for it shows up on the right side, and even has a valid pic for the clip, but when I select it, I get the 80004005 error. If I right click on that file, and have it regenerate the DB, I can then read it, but every new file acts the same way until I regenerate the DB again.

matadoor

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, might have solved this myself, let me explain what I did. First, I deleted all of the files on F:. I then created separate directories of New, Stored, and Alerts. I then changed the paths for each of the clips to these new directories. I then stopped BI and closed it, then deleted all of the files in each of the directories. Upon starting BI, I watched it create all the new DB files, and I purposely triggered several of the cameras, and I am now able to play clips back perfectly.

It seems that BI natively did NOT like having everything in a common directory. Note to self. Anyway, I hope this helps others.

M

matadoor

n3wb
Reaction score
You may be scratching your head on the deleting files the second time. When I was changing the BI directories, some of the DB files also generated there, hence the need to delete them again. Things still seem to be stable.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. I figured it had to be some unusual settings causing the problem (which is why I asked for screenshots of all the settings). The developer may have never expected someone to try putting in the same directory for all of the paths, and I'm actually a little surprised that would cause the problem you had.

If you only put "F:" in as the path, then I am surprised it worked at all to be honest!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From the help file:
The Clip Options window allows you to specify the physical location on your hard drive where clips will be created and stored. You must specify the first three, with default names New, Stored and Alerts. You may specify up to 10 in total. These folders must not be overlapping or "inside" one another. You must retain a name for each folder, but if you will not be using it, you can blank out the path setting.

matadoor

n3wb
Reaction score
Just FYI, I've been using this software a long time, been around since 3.X, and I never separated the storage files from the main C drive before, so that part was 100% new to me. I switched to the SSD simply to increase performance. I figured I would document the solution so that anyone else who may stumble into this would be able to search and find the solution. As of today, still working fine.

M

ndoggac

n3wb
Reaction score
Still on V4 and have been getting these 80004005 errors constantly. Trying this now, will update with whether it worked for me. Thanks for the info!

ndoggac

n3wb
Reaction score
matador's directory solution worked for me. Don't know why that should solve anything, seems like a bug in BI to me, but I haven't had an issues for almost two months since the fix. It does say in BI's documentation to separate out the directories, but that seems pretty ridiculous of a requirement.

chogardjr

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm glad it's working. I've always used a dedicated WD Purple drive for Alerts, DB, New and Storage but would get this error when I try to add a camera that BI didn't like the audio for. When I disable the audio video works. It's typically a USB webcam audio issue when i get this error. This error might be a basic encoding error code since the problems and solutions are so different.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
matador's directory solution worked for me. Don't know why that should solve anything, seems like a bug in BI to me, but I haven't had an issues for almost two months since the fix. It does say in BI's documentation to separate out the directories, but that seems pretty ridiculous of a requirement.
Two good reasons to have different drive path in Blue Iris:

1) Surveillance-rated HDD's like WD Purples are purpose-built and designed with algorithms and hardware meant for constant write and lesser read operation; they are best for storage of video clips (NOT C drive).​
2) Blue Iris runs best when the Windows O/S, the BI program and the BI "Db" folder are on the same drive (C drive); that drive can be a HDD but ideally, it's a SSD.​

FWIW, for best performance the BI server should function ONLY as a BI server.