Blue Iris and Android TV?

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Blue Iris on an Android TV?
I've been pondering replacing my 10+ year old LCD TV and which of the various flavours of Smart there are.
One factor I just thought of, does any Smart do Blue Iris?
Roku doesn't.

How about Android TV?

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I personally havn't tried it, but this video talks about side loading them via your google account. Ironically he even uses an IP camera app haha.

Hope it helps!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Forget about smart tv's...Dont even consider smart functions when buying a tv..look at picture quality and price. Manufactures rarely update the tv's and they are slow compared to external boxes like Fire tv etc...The devices are updated and easy to replace for cheap when a newer, faster, sleeker option is available

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did a bit of investigating and emailing..
First, no, it's not available in the store for Android TV.
But, Ken said he'd discuss it with his Android dev, so there's hope.

Reaction score
+1 for Android tv. I've currently been using tinycam on androidtv and that mode is actively being developed. Tinycam supports the Nvidia shield controller and also posts updates in the top recommendation row. Would love to see the same for BI

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Forget about smart tv's...Dont even consider smart functions when buying a tv..look at picture quality and price. Manufactures rarely update the tv's and they are slow compared to external boxes like Fire tv etc...The devices are updated and easy to replace for cheap when a newer, faster, sleeker option is available
Smart Tv's Can be very useful when creating a "smart" environment, per say voice control with IFFT triggers.

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
and how will the smart tv function help that .000001 percent of the population that use ifft triggers...
Not sure if your user percentage is relevant, but amazon fire sticks are nice, but they can't turn the TV on and off, if I am not mistaken.

Also Smart TV's are becoming very cheap. I saw a 120hz led 50inch Vizio smart LED TV (4k) for $350 refurbish a couple weeks ago.

Check out deals.kinja.com

not trying to argue btw, just trying to share information

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if your user percentage is relevant, but amazon fire sticks are nice, but they can't turn the TV on and off, if I am not mistaken.

Also Smart TV's are becoming very cheap. I saw a 120hz led 50inch Vizio smart LED TV (4k) for $350 refurbish a couple weeks ago.

Check out deals.kinja.com

not trying to argue btw, just trying to share information
Smart tvs can also not be tuned on/off...it depends on the model...they are useless for the apps/smart functions...slow and clunky with little updates...when a stick costs 40 bux its a no brainer..

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
and how will the smart tv function help that .000001 percent of the population that use ifft triggers...
in regards to usfull triggers, you could have a trigger to turn the lights off, turn your tv on, and open the Ip camera application.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
in regards to usfull triggers, you could have a trigger to turn the lights off, turn your tv on, and open the Ip camera application.
its cute...not very useful...the op was simply looking for a way to display the cams..once again this option is NOT available on most smart tv...maybe some models.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even if you could do that, generally it would be so slow it would be pointless.

If you want to automate something, make the tv turn on and switch to the hdmi input from your BI box, NVR, or dedicated camera viewing device (like an rPi) forget about the smart functionality any time soon. That way it would be fast enough to actually show you something useful.

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Smart tvs can also not be tuned on/off...it depends on the model...they are useless for the apps/smart functions...slow and clunky with little updates...when a stick costs 40 bux its a no brainer..
mmm good observation! I guess my standards for research should increase