Blue Iris and hotspot

Dwellonroof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a pole barn at another location and would like to get internet access but the only option is Hughes Net so I thought I would ask here what you are using.
I'm wanting to install an old computer and put Blue Iris on it with 2 or 3 2mp cameras so I can keep an eye on things without breaking the bank. I'm wanting to do it this way because I have BI at home and it works great for me.
I also purchased a second license key.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a pole barn at another location and would like to get internet access but the only option is Hughes Net so I thought I would ask here what you are using.
I'm wanting to install an old computer and put Blue Iris on it with 2 or 3 2mp cameras so I can keep an eye on things without breaking the bank. I'm wanting to do it this way because I have BI at home and it works great for me.
I also purchased a second license key.
How far away is the pole barn from the house? Do you have line of site to the barn?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Research Hughes net with ddns. A lot of hotspot providers do not provide an IP address that can be used for inbound traffic. So you may not be able to log nto your pc to view the cameras. The cameras can send outbound traffic like alerts.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How far is the Barn from the house 1000 ft or 10 miles. Can you see the barn from the house. There are other solution other than internet.

Dwellonroof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I did get a netgear hotspot and a gsm card that runs off att towers , I can pull it up in the app only when I am at that location only on wifi cut can’t connect over the internet. My home BI can connect anywhere.
Any ideas ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well I did get a netgear hotspot and a gsm card that runs off att towers , I can pull it up in the app only when I am at that location only on wifi cut can’t connect over the internet. My home BI can connect anywhere.
Any ideas ?
It's likely that it's like my AT&T mobile hotspot: it's employing carrier-grade NAT so no public IP is available.
You may be able to obtain a public (and subsequently static) IP by contacting AT&T and asking for one via a business account BUT...be prepared for a stiff fee.

Dwellonroof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I contacted Frontier and they offer I’m thinking dialup but $40 per month for the first year.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I contacted Frontier and they offer I’m thinking dialup but $40 per month for the first year.
Seriously....dialup? or DSL?
If you can get 1.5MBPs download DSL / ADSL it will work for remote BI, albeit s-l-o-w as molasses in January. A couple of cams maybe OK.
Most DSL ISP's provides a public IP for the WAN via IPv4.

Dwellonroof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Must be DSL I'm thinking 5Mb
Would something like team viewer work with a hotspot?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Must be DSL I'm thinking 5Mb
If it's DSL then you're good to go with remote access of BI, you should have a public IP, albeit dynamic. If so, a DDNS hostname will help with that.
Would something like team viewer work with a hotspot?
Yes, I believe so. I know TV will work going out to a remote device that's on DSL and with TV installed, I think it will work coming in as well with the remote using TV and a hotspot.

FWIW, even a hotspot will allow outgoing push notifications and SMS alerts from BI; it's the incoming issue because of the carrier-grade NAT and no public IP that prevents remote access.

Dwellonroof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I signed up for the Frontier internet, they said upto 5Mb and no data caps, we will see.
Thanks for the replies.