Blue Iris and Multicore Core i7-860

RoadHazard

n3wb
Reaction score
Sanity check, please.

Will Blue Iris take advantage of the multiple CPU cores in a Core i7-860? It's a middle-aged Intel device that has 4 physical cores and 8 virtual cores, includes VT-x and EPT, but does not support the UG (unrestricted guest) feature that appeared on later processors.

I already know Blue Iris runs on the chip. The question is, will it take advantage of the multiple cores/threads, or will it limit itself to a single core/thread?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It also doesn't look like it supports the QuickSync feature that BI uses for H.264 hardware acceleration. That's going to have a negative impact on the total CPU load.

I don't know how to tell if BI would use multiple cores/threads on that specific processor. I have a 3rd-gen i7 and Process Monitor shows BI is using 124 threads.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The hardware guide does a fine job of telling me what CPU I should buy, were I buying one. But it does not, as far as I can tell, answer my question.
yes blue iris will...but that processor is a TERRIBLE choice for blue iris...its a powerhog and you need to run a video card with it..
for 100-300 dollars you can buy an i5 (sandybridge to skylake) system that will have quicksync making it at least double as powerful while using at least a third less power...you will make your money back in less than a year...note that processors is well passed middle age...its 8 years old..

RoadHazard

n3wb
Reaction score
... for 100-300 dollars you can buy an i5 (sandybridge to skylake) system that will have quicksync making it at least double as powerful while using at least a third less power...
Uh-huh, and what exactly would I plug that Sandy Bridge chip into?

I already have the complete system with i7-860 processor, motherboard, DRAM, case, power supply, drives, etc. It's running Blue Iris right now.

Changing the processor alone isn't an option, because the i7-860 is already the fastest processor compatible with its socket. So changing processor means changing motherboard, and changing motherboard means changing the DRAM, and changing mobo/DRAM means changing the power supply... Plus, now I'm supposed to add a video card, too. That's far from a $100-300 upgrade. It's a complete new machine, built from scratch, using parts I don't have.

To be clear, I'm *already* running Blue Iris on this equipment, inside a Windows virtual machine running under FreeBSD, with no graphics card at all (no monitor, either, in fact). It works, it's reliable, but the VM limits Blue Iris to a single CPU core, so the performance headroom is very limited.

So I'll repeat my original question: Will Blue Iris utilize all eight cores/threads if it runs natively under Windows, or is there some limitation that will prevent it? I was hoping for a solid answer before I nuke my entire operating system and virtual machine just to try it out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh-huh, and what exactly would I plug that Sandy Bridge chip into?

I already have the complete system with i7-860 processor, motherboard, DRAM, case, power supply, drives, etc. It's running Blue Iris right now.

Changing the processor alone isn't an option, because the i7-860 is already the fastest processor compatible with its socket. So changing processor means changing motherboard, and changing motherboard means changing the DRAM, and changing mobo/DRAM means changing the power supply... Plus, now I'm supposed to add a video card, too. That's far from a $100-300 upgrade. It's a complete new machine, built from scratch, using parts I don't have.

To be clear, I'm *already* running Blue Iris on this equipment, inside a Windows virtual machine running under FreeBSD, with no graphics card at all (no monitor, either, in fact). It works, it's reliable, but the VM limits Blue Iris to a single CPU core, so the performance headroom is very limited.

So I'll repeat my original question: Will Blue Iris utilize all eight cores/threads if it runs natively under Windows, or is there some limitation that will prevent it? I was hoping for a solid answer before I nuke my entire operating system and virtual machine just to try it out.
At this point you can shove it in your ass for all i care. No one said anything about swapping processors....if you would take some time to search this forum rather than rant on like a pompous idiot you would see what I am talking about.
Furthermore what part of "yes, blue iris will" dont your understand? Dont come here acting like an entitled brat.