Blue Iris and network load...can it measurably slow down my home network?

ThomasNF

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey folks...Happy Holidays!

I've been noticing recently, that my home network has begun to get quite sluggish. I'm running high quality cable throughout, with decent Gigabit switches at every junction. My Blue Iris setup consists of 34 cameras of mixed resolution but quite of few are now 4K. I should mention that I run a dedicated Blue Iris machine which runs 24/7, but also run a separate instance of Blue Iris on my main desktop to easily monitor the property while I'm in my office.

When running Windows (10) task manager, I can see that the network traffic on my PC runs at about 200Mbps when running Blue Iris, and the same for the dedicated PC...so combined, it's about 400Mbps running most of the day. So my question is...could that be contributing to my perceived slow-down issues? And when I say slow down, I mean things like slow load times on browsing sessions (Firefox and Chrome), sluggish response times on things like home automation commands (lights, thermostats, etc).

In theory I should have enough head-room with a gigabit network running throughout, but my sense is these slow-downs are measurable and so was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!
The Problem is that you run Blue Iris as an Admin.
Turn of the Admin Start in the Settings, and activate Start as User.
I did this and then I had full Internet Speed.

best regards Thomas