Blue Iris and Raspberry Pi

santiagob

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I haven´t used a raspberry pi before but I'm thinking on replacing the Dahua NVR for a RP and a hard disc plugged to it.
Anyone have done this before? Is it easy to setup? Is BL compatible with RPi?
Cheers!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
BI won't run on a RPi. BI is Windows only.

You would be better off going with a pre-built NAS (Synology, Qnap, etc...) and skip the RPi altogether. Setup an NFS share on the NAS and point the cameras directly to it.

santiagob

n3wb
Reaction score

You would be better off going with a pre-built NAS (Synology, Qnap, etc...) and skip the RPi altogether. Setup an NFS share on the NAS and point the cameras directly to it.
But in that case you have to manage every camera independently and you are not able to see all together?? Right?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
But in that case you have to manage every camera independently and you are not able to see all together?? Right?
You'd have to manage them independently if you dump them to a NAS.

santiagob

n3wb
Reaction score

There are some videos explaining how to install windows on RBPi.. I guess you can then install Blue iris on it...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are some videos explaining how to install windows on RBPi.. I guess you can then install Blue iris on it...
lol, it will choke instantly...
You can buy a windows machine that will run a decent load for 100 bux. They are cheap and power efficient.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Windows was re-compiled specifically for ARM processors, like RPi. Only 32-bit programs can be executed, as Microsoft created a special emulator layer that allows traditional 32-bit desktop applications to run on ARM processors. Since BI is 64-bit, it won't work.

If want something to run on RPi, check out Motion Eye. Not the greatest, but it's free :).

santiagob

n3wb
Reaction score
Windows was re-compiled specifically for ARM processors, like RPi. Only 32-bit programs can be executed, as Microsoft created a special emulator layer that allows traditional 32-bit desktop applications to run on ARM processors. Since BI is 64-bit, it won't work.

If want something to run on RPi, check out Motion Eye. Not the greatest, but it's free :).
Thanks for the info!!!

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
lol, it will choke instantly...
You can buy a windows machine that will run a decent load for 100 bux. They are cheap and power efficient.
Exactly what I was going to say!
Look around on eBay or a second hand commercial electronics store.

There's a store around here in NZ that takes commercial IT gear, refurbishes them and on sales for charity. Whats not to love about getting a powerful business machine for a reasonable price?