blue iris app notifications

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is it possible to set up different notification sounds for each camera on the blue iris app * (i.e. driveway camera one sound. door bell cam another sound etc)

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is it in the app? i dont see anything where i can pick a notification on the app

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
In the BI camera settings under Alerts > On alert button > add or edit selection > Sound.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sorry let me clarify
blue irus mobile app

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, you'll hear that sound on your phone when you receive the alert.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
oh thats cool i didnt know it would transfer over to phone app
ill give it a try thank you

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
perfect found it, can someone guide me to where the sound files are stored so i can copy the files i want into the folder to pick them

just found it, if anyone else needs for reference here is where it was in my
C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\Sounds
WINDOWS C
PROGRAM FILES
BLUE IRIS 5
SOUNDS

EDIT:

ahh this is lame, i added directly to the folder but they do not show up on BI, i really wanted to get some custom sounds i downloaded like " motion at the front porch ". .. " motion in driveway" etc so ican at least hear it before i waste my time openning phone and checking
i.e. if i hear at night "motion detected in garage" id be more quick to check then if i heard "motion detected in driveway "
someone correct me if im wrong about this?
also i am setting up system at my work as well and would be great to differentiate motion at home vs work,

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
As of the last time that I looked at it you could not add custom sounds. You can change the name of one of the files on the server to replace one of the existing files but the audio from that will only play on the server. The client will play the original matching file to that name. There's no way to add a file to the client so you're limited to what's built in. i.e., BI isn't sending the audio from the server; rather, just a pointer to call a file by that name as it's stored on the client.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
perfect found it, can someone guide me to where the sound files are stored so i can copy the files i want into the folder to pick them

WINDOWS C
PROGRAM FILES
BLUE IRIS 5
SOUNDS

EDIT:

ahh this is lame, i added directly to the folder but they do not show up on BI, i really wanted to get some custom sounds i downloaded like " motion at the front porch ". .. " motion in driveway" etc so ican at least hear it before i waste my time openning phone and checking
i.e. if i hear at night "motion detected in garage" id be more quick to check then if i heard "motion detected in driveway "
also i am setting up system at my work as well and would be great to differentiate motion at home vs work,
You can only add custom sounds to use them for Blue Iris notifications on the PC or sending audio to the cameras....
The reason is simple because the sound file is not being sent with the push notification... Only a tiny bit is sent to notify the app as to which preinstalled sound to play.
Any change would have to be modified in the phone app...

If you want this function you need to request it from support though I would wait until the current issues are resolved

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can only add custom sounds to use them for Blue Iris notifications on the PC or sending audio to the cameras....
The reason is simple because the sound file is not being sent with the push notification... Only a tiny bit is sent to notify the app as to which preinstalled sound to play.
Any change would have to be modified in the phone app...

If you want this function you need to request it from support though I would wait until the current issues are resolved
so even if i make the audio files work in BI on PC, it still wont transfer to the app on phone when i get the notification?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
so even if i make the audio files work in BI on PC, it still wont transfer to the app on phone when i get the notification?
No custom audio file will transfer to the app.... You can only use the preconfigured list of files

Reaction score

WINDOWS C
PROGRAM FILES
BLUE IRIS 5
SOUNDS

EDIT:

let me know when you figure it out as I wanted to sounds like "mailbox alert" "who is that at my door" "danger alert" "they are at the gate"'

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
An excerpt from excellent post by @jaydeel entitled "Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks":
"Pushover also lets you
  • specify which of your Pushover devices receive the notification (so you don't have to get the notification on every device on which you've installed the app)
    • use built-in Pushover sounds <list> (and Pushover's new custom sounds <link>). See these posts: <Intro>, <Download all Blue Iris Sounds> … EDIT (7/4/2022) If you want to try custom sounds, please note these requirements: ”… sound files must be in MP3 format and are limited to 500 kilobytes in size, and for iOS devices, cannot be longer than 30 seconds or they will not play.”
    • send emergency notifications. See these posts: <Intro>, <Overriding Android Do not disturb>"

Last edited:

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Back in 2021 I emailed BI support to request custom sounds in the iOS app. I referenced Pushover's blog post about it as well as the iOS dev documentation. Ken responded, "Thanks."

@RWDM3 you should email support to request it, too, but maybe wait a week or two as @fenderman suggested so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. In the meantime, the pushover app works.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how hard is the pushover app to set up ?