Blue Iris Baby monitoring - Please share the best settings?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a BI user for a few years. Thanks to my friend @wittaj, I set it up well a few years ago with DeepStack and have basically forgotten about it, cause if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I have BI 5.4.6.3 and in our home we use the Android mobile app.

Recently, we fired our baby monitor, cause the manufacturer changed the whole game on us and without notice started charging subscription fees for the camera, that we never anticipated. So we sold the expensive monitor and have started using the Amcrest wifi camera as our monitor which is highly recommended here.

Problem is, we do miss some features from the baby cam, and I was wondering if I could share those here and see if people can share some BI settings to enable those features or use some other helpful tips when using BI as a baby monitor. Can someone help with:

1. First off, our much needed push notifications have stopped working for about a week now. No settings were changed. No internet settings were changed. No mobile devices are new. Have tried rebooting BI, adding and deleting our Android devices in BI. Anyone know anything about this?

2. The monitor had this feature of "background" audio, where even if we navigated away from the app in our phones, the audio stream of the camera played in the back. That way, when our baby cried, we could tend to them without actively using the application in our phones.

3. Similarly, when the video feed was on, the app kept the screen on on our phones. In BI, the workaround we have is to keep our phone screen timeout at the max allowed. Is there a way around this?

4. Outside of BI, are there any stand alone apps for Android that we could use with our Amcrest camera and their RTSP or ONVIF protocol capability that will serve as well as a baby monitor?

I appreciate all your help! Thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear everything is going great on your setup.

Regarding push notifications, there are several threads here on it bugging out, especially with android devices. BI is aware of it and is seeking a solution. In the meantime many have gone to the pushover app.

Regarding your baby monitor, gotta love the cloud based stuff that hooks you in and then over time starts adding fees...

You could use the Amcrest app for the Amcrest camera you are using for the baby monitor. Maybe someone is aware of an ONVIF app that would work better for that camera to use as a baby monitor.

I think your background audio component is something that would be specific to a baby monitor solution and your workaround is probably as good as it gets. Or get another tablet or echo or some device that you have just that camera play on all the time?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad to hear everything is going great on your setup.

Regarding push notifications, there are several threads here on it bugging out, especially with android devices. BI is aware of it and is seeking a solution. In the meantime many have gone to the pushover app.

Regarding your baby monitor, gotta love the cloud based stuff that hooks you in and then over time starts adding fees...

You could use the Amcrest app for the Amcrest camera you are using for the baby monitor. Maybe someone is aware of an ONVIF app that would work better for that camera to use as a baby monitor.

I think your background audio component is something that would be specific to a baby monitor solution and your workaround is probably as good as it gets. Or get another tablet or echo or some device that you have just that camera play on all the time?
Another day, and another rescuing response from my buddy @wittaj! Thanks bud!

As long the push notifications issue is something from the BI side and is known, I'm relieved and will look forward to it being resolved, one day magically? In the meanwhile, can you educate me on the pushover app and how it could work with BI notifications and alerts?

Amcrest app is the one I'm using. It's getting me close to my needs, but again, doesn't do the background sound and really, more importantly, the baked in push notifications and motion and sound detection is not coming through! I've enabled everything I can find in the app, but nothing gets alerted to my phone and the app events are empty too, I believe.

Hoping others can share any ideas on the topic as well!

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The Blue Iris Android and iOS apps both have a global ‘Background audio’ setting. To use, enable the setting and toggle ON the speaker icon for the cameras of interest. (Interestingly, my Android phone app allows each camera speaker to be toggled, but not so for the iOS apps.)

I’m running BI 5.9.7.1 and just tested both apps; they appear to working as expected on our phones. My iPad however is losing the sound when Blue Iris app is not in the foreground; however, it does play the audio if the screen is toggled off with the Blue Iris app open.

Last edited:

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Blue Iris Android and iOS apps both have a global ‘Background audio’ setting. To use, enable the setting and toggle ON the speaker icon for the cameras of interest.

I’m running 5.9.7.1 and just tested both apps; they appear to working as expected on our phones. My iPad however is losing the sound when Blue Iris app is not in the foreground; however, it does play the audio if the screen is toggled off with the Blue Iris app open.
Thank you for your quick response. Some follow up questions for you or folks who can help:

1. I think the background audio feature did/does work, the way you explained. Thank you. Since it's a global setting, which audio does it play in the background? Last camera viewed?

2. I noticed there is a setting in BI mobile app for default login screen. When I choose selected Camera option, it doesn't let me pick a specific camera to launch the screen on, is this how it's supposed to work? Can I launch the app on a specific camera?

3. Is there a setting to display lock/screen timeout lock when a camera is being viewed for the Android app, meaning, prevent the screen from shutting off while the camera is being viewed?

4. Lastly, is there an option in the Android mobile app to turn "off/on" the camera for viewing? Sometimes, my wife is feeding the baby and wants the stream off.

Appreciate everyone!

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve emailed support several times over the years requesting picture-in-picture support for the BI mobile app. I’d love to pop out the live video in a separate “window” that floats above my other apps.

Even though it’s not exactly what you asked about, I think it could be handy for your use case, too. Please consider emailing BI support to request PiP with the mobile app.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
2. I noticed there is a setting in BI mobile app for default login screen. When I choose selected Camera option, it doesn't let me pick a specific camera to launch the screen on, is this how it's supposed to work? Can I launch the app on a specific camera?
I’ve always assumed ‘Selected cam’ opens the app on the last camera open. But my testing now of both Android & iOS apps, suggests it opens only the Cameras view showing all cameras.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
3. Is there a setting to display lock/screen timeout lock when a camera is being viewed for the Android app, meaning, prevent the screen from shutting off while the camera is being viewed?
I just Googled this and see a number of hits. You’ve probably done this too. A quick survey indicates some of the hits refer to no longer available settings, etc. If I personally needed to do this, I’d likely create a Tasker profile to handle it.

4. Lastly, is there an option in the Android mobile app to turn "off/on" the camera for viewing? Sometimes, my wife is feeding the baby and wants the stream off.
You can disable a camera in the app from the gear icon. But the last time I tested this, I lost access to the camera from the app and had to wait until I was back at the PC to reenable it.

Instead, I think I’d use these HTTP interface commands to toggle (disable/enable) the camera on demand:
192.168.1.3:8600/admin?camera=Nursery&enable=0
192.168.1.3:8600/admin?camera=Nursery&enable=1
Put the links on the phone screen, in an email body, or iOS Note or Android Google Keep note for quick access.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
1. I think the background audio feature did/does work, the way you explained. Thank you. Since it's a global setting, which audio does it play in the background? Last camera viewed?
I’m not able to test right now, but I suspect it simultaneously plays all cameras that have the speaker icon enabled.

Last edited:

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve emailed support several times over the years requesting picture-in-picture support for the BI mobile app. I’d love to pop out the live video in a separate “window” that floats above my other apps.

Even though it’s not exactly what you asked about, I think it could be handy for your use case, too. Please consider emailing BI support to request PiP with the mobile app.
I agree, that would be great, I'll submit a request. Though, I don't think they'll listen to me since I don't have an active subscription with them.

I just Googled this and see a number of hits. You’ve probably done this too. A quick survey indicates some of the hits refer to no longer available settings, etc. If I personally needed to do this, I’d likely create a Tasker profile to handle it.

You can disable a camera in the app from the gear icon. But the last time I tested this, I lost access to the camera from the app and had to wait until I was back at the PC to reenable it.

Instead, I think I’d use these HTTP interface commands to toggle (disable/enable) the camera on demand:
192.168.1.3:8600/admin?camera=Nursery&enable=0
192.168.1.3:8600/admin?camera=Nursery&enable=1
Put the links on the phone screen, in an email body, or iOS Note or Android Google Keep note for quick access.

Same thing happens to me. Only way to get it back is logging into the BI interface. I wonder if you your HTTP interface can trigger the privacy feature of the Amcrest camera that I'm trying to use... Once on, the camera kinda shuts off and turns itself face down. Would be awesome if I could find a way to do this somehow.

Appreciate all of your help!

Are your push notifications broken in Android as well?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Are your push notifications broken in Android as well?
This is me, lol.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I wonder if you your HTTP interface can trigger the privacy feature of the Amcrest camera that I'm trying to use... Once on, the camera kinda shuts off and turns itself face down. Would be awesome if I could find a way to do this somehow.
The modern Amcrest API is not public, but old versions are floating around, and maybe the command exists there… If not, if you google for the API command someone may have reverse-engineered it.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is me, lol.
Haha thanks pushover does seem a bit complicated to set up, but also that cost is something I don't wanna do when I'll need multiple devices and paid for BI already.

Did BI support ever respond to you or someone else? The push notifications have been gone over a week now, I think... It's kinda insane.

The modern Amcrest API is not public, but old versions are floating around, and maybe the command exists there… If not, if you google for the API command someone may have reverse-engineered it.
Thank you for this education. You seem to be good with code, I found this post, do you see anything I could try to trigger the privacy mode?

In general, I keep falling short of the perfect solution with some options:

BI: Push notifications are not working and screen on lock is not an option, when the camera is up.

Amcrest Viewer: Love the Privacy Mode! But the push notifications are not working and no background audio option. Perhaps no screen on lock either.

Amcrest Viewer 2: Push Notifications worked, but no background audio or Privacy Mode option.

tinycam pro: This might be the closest option. No way to get Privacy Mode, though I emailed the developer. And the notifications don't seem to show up on the lockscreen and also doesn't open the app to show the camera on motion. Workaround is keep the camera up.

Thanks for your help!

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
BI: Push notifications are not working
They are mostly working as of today’s update 5.9.7.2. Still need the Android app to be updated to get pictures.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are mostly working as of today’s update 5.9.7.2. Still need the Android app to be updated to get pictures.
I see, you're only monitoring iOS? Guess no issues reported for Android and people like me with no active subs are SOL, I guess?

Kinda unfair... It broke out of nowhere with zero settings changed!

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I see, you're only monitoring iOS? Guess no issues reported for Android and people like me with no active subs are SOL, I guess?

No this is Android. Folks started posting the issue to an existing thread with an unfortunate title… Scan the thread backwards from the provided link.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No this is Android. Folks started posting the issue to an existing thread with an unfortunate title… Scan the thread backwards from the provided link.
I saw the BI sub Reddit and it seems they have fixed the issue with the latest server update? However, this means people like me who don't have active subscription are basically stuck, huh?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Keep in mind this was a Google issue not BI. Google changed something and BI was a casualty of the change.

Just like when SMS quit working reliably due to mobile providers tightening spam algorithms, that wasn't a BI issue either.

Also keep in mind android users have been lucky to date as Apple requires a new certificate like yearly that can only be obtained with BI updates.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Haha thanks pushover does seem a bit complicated to set up, but also that cost is something I don't wanna do when I'll need multiple devices and paid for BI already.

Did BI support ever respond to you or someone else? The push notifications have been gone over a week now, I think... It's kinda insane.

Thank you for this education. You seem to be good with code, I found this post, do you see anything I could try to trigger the privacy mode?

In general, I keep falling short of the perfect solution with some options:

BI: Push notifications are not working and screen on lock is not an option, when the camera is up.

Amcrest Viewer: Love the Privacy Mode! But the push notifications are not working and no background audio option. Perhaps no screen on lock either.

Amcrest Viewer 2: Push Notifications worked, but no background audio or Privacy Mode option.

tinycam pro: This might be the closest option. No way to get Privacy Mode, though I emailed the developer. And the notifications don't seem to show up on the lockscreen and also doesn't open the app to show the camera on motion. Workaround is keep the camera up.

Thanks for your help!
Pushover doesn't have to be complicated.

Keep in mind that when you sign up for Pushover it provides you with a pushover "email" that you cannot log in and use for anything except to use it to send push notifications to.

So you can simply go into the alerts in BI and tell it to send an email instead of a push and you are getting your push notifications from the Pushover app.

Don't get me wrong, the Pushover API process that @jaydeel discusses adds way more functionality and customization, but if you are just looking for a simple push and a quick setup, the pushover email option is simple to setup.

Prior to pushover, I was doing the SMS method and once mobile providers tightened their spam algorithms and my texts would be delayed and what not, I simply went the pushover email route and was simply replacing my SMS number with the pushover email.

Quick, simple, gets the job done. Signing up for Pushover was like a minute LOL.

So many of my cameras still use the pushover email option, but I have gone to the API process for a few of my key cameras that I wanted the more customization that the API provides.