Blue Iris, Cams and the Dreaded F: Drive

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It appears that my cameras, AD110 doorbell cam and IP2M-841 garage cam are attempting to store clips to a disconnected F: drive. All information, is set in BI to go to my WD Purple E: drive which, by the way is currently storing all video and jpegs. I've attached two screenshots to show what I mean. Is there a setting that needs to be changed, or is this a lot of nothing burger?
Thanks!

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Posts screenshots of your clips and archiving tab - you have something there pointing to the F drive

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We need to see the whole screen and all the aux drives. That is where you have something pointing to the F drive.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We need to see the whole screen and all the aux drives. That is where you have something pointing to the F drive.
[/QUOTE
I don't have any issues with the system as far as I'm concerned. I get motion alerts and snapshots. But check this out. I have one iPhone, and two Android phones. Two for me and one for my wife. She doesn't use BI even though I paid for the app for her phone. So, why is there so much redundancy? Do I need to delete the app and reinstall it?
Thanks

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a list of your devices.

We need a screen that looks like this showing where each folder is pointing to. One of these is pointing to the F drive:

1646081572234.png

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is a list of your devices.

We need a screen that looks like this showing where each folder is pointing to. One of these is pointing to the F drive:

View attachment 120380
I have a few pics for you and think I've found the problem. I'll let you take a look to see what you think.
Thanks

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like you have stored pointing to the F drive.

But I think in the record tab on one of your cameras you have it pointed to the F drive.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have anything, anywhere, in the BI configuration that points to F: and there is no F: drive or directory structure you will get that error.

The basics of BI directories is to have a directory structure that matches what BI creates when installed. The database actually belongs in C:\Blue Iris\database and not C:\Blue Iris for example. Alerts and New actually should be in directories named exactly that. The AUX directories can be renamed simply by right clicking on them if you want/need specific names.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you have anything, anywhere, in the BI configuration that points to F: and there is no F: drive or directory structure you will get that error.

The basics of BI directories is to have a directory structure that matches what BI creates when installed. The database actually belongs in C:\Blue Iris\database and not C:\Blue Iris for example. Alerts and New actually should be in directories named exactly that. The AUX directories can be renamed simply by right clicking on them if you want/need specific names.
Ummhmm. I had something like C:\Blue Iris\db\DeepStack and changed it to what I have now. I'll fix it. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, and like I mentioned earlier in the thread, BI really likes that stuff to stay where it was defaulted to. Alerts, New, Stored, and Deepstack files should stay where BI defaults them (although you should move New to a different drive than the c:, but do not rename the folder) And unless it is going to a NAS, do not use the stored folder. BI knows where stuff is and moving things around on a drive is counter productive.

We have seen instances where people start changing it and BI has problems. Most recent were were the custom models are stored. Even though it gives you the option to point them elsewhere, folks here have found problems if they didn't stick it in the c:\deepstack\MyModels location.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, and like I mentioned earlier in the thread, BI really likes that stuff to stay where it was defaulted to. Alerts, New, Stored, and Deepstack files should stay where BI defaults them (although you should move New to a different drive than the c:, but do not rename the folder) And unless it is going to a NAS, do not use the stored folder. BI knows where stuff is and moving things around on a drive is counter productive.

We have seen instances where people start changing it and BI has problems. Most recent were were the custom models are stored. Even though it gives you the option to point them elsewhere, folks here have found problems if they didn't stick it in the c:\deepstack\MyModels location.
I agree and try and stay from this section altogether. If I need to make any changes, I usually ask because the potential for me to screw things up is exponential.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
X:\Blue Iris
...................\New
...................\Alerts
...................\Stored
...................\AUX1 (can be renamed safely)
and so on for the rest of the AUX directories.

This directory structure can be duplicated on any drive letter and keeps it simple for Blue Iris to handle properly. It's also a good idea to use space, rather than time, for file deletion. BI handles that quite well.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
X:\Blue Iris
...................\New
...................\Alerts
...................\Stored
...................\AUX1 (can be renamed safely)
and so on for the rest of the AUX directories.

This directory structure can be duplicated on any drive letter and keeps it simple for Blue Iris to handle properly. It's also a good idea to use space, rather than time, for file deletion. BI handles that quite well.
I have it set to delete every 28 days. Should it be set some other way?
I have

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I think I have it worked out. I have a New and Alerts folder. Now, for clarification, what should be done with the Stored folder? I thought I read that it should remain unused. Is that correct.