Blue Iris can Stream for few seconds and then freezes the stream

Reaction score
Hi,

We are developing RTSP for STV0991 camera, and we are going to use Blue Iris SW as a client SW.
We are facing problem with Blue Iris. Description below:

When we connect our camera with blue iris it is getting connected and we are getting that " RTSP port Detected ", after sending PLAY request Blue Iris is able to stream for a few seconds and freezes and repeats.

Steps we followed:

* we did IP Camera configuration.
* we are using RTP/UDP so we marked that option in Blue Iris SW.(our camera supports only RTP/UDP)
* Increased the buffer size.
* we checked in wireshark that RTSP operation getting done.
By observing wireshark packets, Camera is sending RTP/UDP data continuously but Blue Iris freezes after streaming few seconds and we saw that BI resets the connection. and again connects(repeatedly).

So could you please help us to resolve this error?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, @TonyR

I contacted Blue Iris.

but we are not able to resolve.
I am not a developer or programmer, just an end user. Therefore, the content of RFC 7826 is wasted on me. But from what I've read elsewhere, and I understand there will be various interpretations, it seems to me that the only advantage to using RTP/UDP as opposed to TCP is that "...UDP does not care about reliability of the communication, and will not slow down or re-transmit data. Conversely, "...TCP is about getting a reliable data stream, and will slow down transmission, and re-transmit corrupted packets, in order to achieve that."

It appears many other major IP camera contenders (like Dahua) do NOT use RTP/UDP in their stream and do so very reliably. Since you are on the development team and are not having success with your current issue, have you considered modifying your camera's RTSP code to NOT employ RTP/UDP ? Is that practical and would it help to achieve compatibility with Blue Iris?

Last edited: