Blue iris cheap hardware

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
guys - I run 9 2mp cameras at 15fps on my current primary PC and want to move BI to its own hardware - should have listened to everybody's advice in the first place ;)

I need something cheap that'll do the job. It's possible I may replace the 2mp with 4mp cameras in the future. What does everybody think about this one? I have to confirm with the seller that it's indeed an i5-6500 and will simply move my current wd purple 8tb into this server and i can't think of anything else the PC would need

Advice or any other pc's you'd recommend over this? If so, some ebay or other site links would help too

thx!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found another one for 230 which has a 500gb ssd vs the first one that's 256gb ssd. Not sure i need the 500gb ssd though

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Make sure you can put your HDD in the case. Some members here have had issues with these SFF cases where once they get them they realize there is no slot for a 3.5" HDD, just a 2.5". Also, some of these proprietary MB do not have additional places to plug the SATA cables in.

With using sub-streams, the i5-6500 should be fine as long as it is not one of those that have a letter designation after the 6500 part, like a S or something other than an X. I forget which ones have heat issues as they are made mostly for laptops.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you can put your HDD in the case. Some members here have had issues with these SFF cases where once they get them they realize there is no slot for a 3.5" HDD, just a 2.5". Also, some of these proprietary MB do not have additional places to plug the SATA cables in.

With using sub-streams, the i5-6500 should be fine as long as it is not one of those that have a letter designation after the 6500 part, like a S or something other than an X. I forget which ones have heat issues as they are made mostly for laptops.
That system is much bigger than the dell sff. It can hold at least one 3.5 and one 2.5 and probably 2x 3.5.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I already have a eight terabyte hard drive but I'm planning to add another 12 terabyte and maybe wait for Thanksgiving sales. When I get it should I simply add it as a different volume or try to combine both drives into a single volume and drive

Reaction score
When I get it should I simply add it as a different volume or try to combine both drives into a single volume and drive
Personally I like having separate drives. I have three 10TB drives and split my cams between them. In most views I have more than one cam giving a different view and having put each one on a different drive guards against a drive failure such that if a drive does fail, I have recordings of the area from other views.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's a brilliant idea. I am wondering if I would get deep discounts at Thanksgiving or if it's only going to be 15% lower than I might as well buy the drive now and set everything up

Reaction score
I am wondering if I would get deep discounts at Thanksgiving or if it's only going to be 15% lower than I might as well buy the drive now and set everything up
Mine are WD 10TB Purple drives, model WD101PURZ. First one bought directly from WD 9/1/2018 for $340, second from Amazon on 7/18/2019 for $267 and the third one from Amazon on 5/26/2020 for $253 (all plus tax).

So the 10TB drives have come down in price over time. I do not know if the 12TB drives will be discounted heavily, or even at all, at Thanksgiving.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Typically, on an Optiplex, this is a matter of getting a different drive cage, then you can add one 3.5" and the SSD.
Or simply remove the drive cage and use zip ties or other methods to mount the drive.
You can always find out prior to purchase by looking at the manuals on the dell support site, for the specific model number.