Blue Iris - Clips and archiving set up help

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can someone please let me know what I did wrong with my set up? The HD is a WD Purple 4TB.

Attachments

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you click "Repair DB" after making changes?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Red on the allocation screen is a problem.
What else is on the V drive ?
The most i would allocate on a 3.6 TB is 3400 GB on a clean disk. Looking at your current config i would set the new folder to 1800 GB,
rebuild the DB.
do a reboot.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Red on the allocation screen is a problem.
What else is on the V drive ?
The most i would allocate on a 3.6 TB is 3400 GB on a clean disk. Looking at your current config i would set the new folder to 1800 GB,
rebuild the DB.
do a reboot.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Thank you very much for this information. Can you please explain a little more about "rebuild the DB"? I really do not know what that means.

Also, here's what my V drive is showing.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The button on the left bottom of the Blue Iris status screen clip storage.

your screen shot shows 2.9 TB used but none is reported used. Is the only thing on the V drive the Blueiris folder. Screen shot of file explorer root directory.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, sir, Blue Iris in the only thing on the V drive.

The New folder is the only one that has anything saved within it... I'm pretty sure I have BI set up to delete after 21 days, BUT there are files in the New folder all the way back from 2019 :confused:

Attachments

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe it's fixed. I deleted all the files from 2019, it was like 520 files. Maybe I didn't have BI set up to delete back then?

Attachments

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Hi,

What is the reason for not using the ssd?

I currently have the DB on the c drive SSD and new clips are recording on it as well, Then after a week they are then moved to the WD Purple. All my cameras are set to motion detect so i figured storing the clips initially on the ssd should be ok as it is not continuously writing to it (also video data written is about 8GB/week).
Shold I perhaps just forego the wd purple and use a wd red (SSD) as I have one sitting around doing nothing? I'm also mindful of power usage and thats why I was thinking of swapping over to the red ssd.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Moving clips around just generates more work for BI and the PC. Also most discourage constant writing to an SSD. So just set it to write direct to your HDD, so no moving and set the max size and disable the age option. BI will then just take care of the space and remove older clips as it needs to.

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of swapping out the WD purple HDD with a WD Red 500GB SSD that I have. Would there be any issue in writing all the videos to this second SSD compared to the Purple HDD?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You’ll probably end up killing the SSD early due to all the continuous writes to it.

Clips are better stored on a good old fashioned hard disk.

If the SSD is really getting in your way and needs to be put to use then send it to me, I’ll give a proper home and a much easier life

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You’ll probably end up killing the SSD early due to all the continuous writes to it.

The SSD is a WD Red NAS type SSD, designed for this type of workload, thats why I'm thinking it should be ok?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
NAS duty and constant writing are two different things. Video is constantly being recorded while a NAS drive gets hit, relatively, hard from multiple sources but only occasionally. Apples and oranges.

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for your replies and I do appreciate your answers. The reason I was contemplating this is because my cameras are on motion detect only and they are not recording all the time, and thats why I thought it was ok.